Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ CANCELLED

Re: Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ CANCELLE

Well you're all wimps. Roads around here have all been cleared by the plows so you'd have no problems around here. And I'm on a back road.
If you reschedule for tomorrow I can still ride :)
All looks beautiful up here. Only another inch fell overnight ;-)

Man up, you should have got up at 3:30 to allow for extra slow driving. ;-)

Me off to get my cooked breakfast, then off into the real world.

My car is well and truly stuck on my road, so I couldn't have come anyway!

Rob Atkin":bcqd95jd said:
My car is well and truly stuck on my road, so I couldn't have come anyway!

I'ts like this country-wide. Good call to knock the ride on the head, cumbria "worst hit" and it's still falling. emergency services at breaking point trying to get people home, you know, those that MUST nip to the shops for NOTHING essential in a front wheel drive family hatchback! give me strength. :shock: :LOL:

We've had a foot of snow fall overnight on our street!

FluffyChicken":3971rb5w said:
Well you're all wimps. Roads around here have all been cleared by the plows so you'd have no problems around here. And I'm on a back road.
If you reschedule for tomorrow I can still ride :)
All looks beautiful up here. Only another inch fell overnight ;-)

Man up, you should have got up at 3:30 to allow for extra slow driving. ;-)

Me off to get my cooked breakfast, then off into the real world.

Good work Ben. Make sure you get plenty of photos of the ride and you'll get some bonus points for crushing the puny snow with your mighty fists and melting the ice with your laser beam eyes...

I would've loved to have been there riding, but my super hero cape is still at the dry cleaners. I'll be out to tackle my local Arctic tundra this afternoon though.

This was apparently taken from Coniston last night :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 568

I had the mother of all lie-ins this morning, but I still set my alarm for the time I'd have had to be up for travelling up this morning, just so I could go back to bed! I enjoyed listening to the heating gurgling and the sound of shrieking tyres outside. No sirens though. I went for a ride to try my snow tyres- first used for a new years day ride near Coniston and Cathedral Cavern as it happens a couple of years ago (It didn't snow...-) so this was my first test in them. I had to let them really down so the studs would grip, made for a bit more resistance and that horrible rumbling you get when someone is driving passed you with one flat tyre and they haven't noticed. Good fun though but corners are a bit tricky. Hope that people who actually made it up there get back ok.

Attachments

• DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 547
  • DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 547

Aftermath..

After a nice drive over to Coniston via High Cross to check out if anyone had turned out and not noticed the cancelled message, so at around 10:30 I rode up to find a lone man with a lone bike wandering around the Arctic Consiston Lake.
Velo-imadeitfromscotlandyerWimps-manic was waiting patiently oblivious to the cancellation....
so I grab a random bike out the back of the car and we set off ... To the other side of Bluebird cafe to grab some pictures and we head on our way.
Me to the car, him back to Hawkshead.

The general snow was up to the hubs, so any of the trails other than the roads are unridable.
Tried to pop up to Tarn Hows to see what up there was like (ride passes behind it) but some retro-4x4-landrover had decided that it would be a good idea to have a sleep in the middle of the single track road on its side, causing cars to have to reverse back down the road.
The snow wouldn't be the main problem for the ride as my laser eyes would warm the lands ahead, but the high gusty winds whipping snow at you is something I cannot defeat..

Unfortunately my pictures are on my camera so they'll have to wait.

Last edited:

So it's fair to say dsp made the right call y'think?

Told you Velo was unstoppable though!

Have a safe trip back, hope the views are some compensation, must be stunning up there now :cool:

Back