Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ CANCELLED

Re: Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ CANCELLE

Shame but the right call given the weather.

Don't think the ride itself will be an issue but the travel conditions are likely to be poor at best.

Snow and blizzards at the end of March, who knew :(

elPedro666":115pp26n said:
Obviously I'm gutted (spikes are fitted ready for a 5am start!), but I think given the drop out rate there isn't really much else you could responsibly do in the circumstances :( A shame but there it is, I probably mentioned a sunny weekend a while ago and jinxed it! :LOL:

I hope this isn't to be the end of this round though, there must be a little space in the schedule in the not too distant future...? ;)

Yes, I'm really disappointed. Months of planning and a bit of snow scuppers things.
It's ironic that the actual bike riding shouldn't present too much of a problem, the route has several escape routes and is well sheltered for large sections.
It's just getting there which is such a lottery for most people.

I'm tempted to reschedule for Sunday, as it looks as though conditions will improve considerably by then.
Other than that I'm happy to try again in a week or two...

elPedro666":35348yc4 said:
Obviously I'm gutted (spikes are fitted ready for a 5am start!), but I think given the drop out rate there isn't really much else you could responsibly do in the circumstances :( A shame but there it is, I probably mentioned a sunny weekend a while ago and jinxed it! :LOL:

I hope this isn't to be the end of this round though, there must be a little space in the schedule in the not too distant future...? ;)

+1 on that!!, and while it's easy to say that I would've made the journey regardless, there is a slightly more sensible Richard on my other shoulder saying "the lake district?in that weather? Driving for 4 hours? I that weather?.........hey ho, I suppose I've got enough to be getting on with (build bikes, repair flat, look for engagement ring...not in that order! :D )

I'd think it would be better in a couple of weeks time, isn't it Easter next weekend?

I think to be fair, cancelling is a difficult but ultimately sensible decision. Its still snowing in Windermere and looks like it's set in for the night.

Riding in it will be very spicy.

Just got back from a few ales and the walk back was fairly blizzardlike.

Bad news there. Sorry to hear it's been cancelled. For those that are already there though I'd say do the route, it doesn't have any riding on the tops and it is fairly sheltered, so your probably not going to get much colder and wetter than you would if you were trudging round the cagoule shops in Coniston or Ambleside. Also last year the ham and Damson pie in the visitors centre was superb.

northerndave":1h3jx1ra said:
Just got back from a few ales and the walk back was fairly blizzardlike.

Are we still talking about the weather here? :LOL:

Have fun tomorow, hope it rides okay and is still a fun day out :cool:

the good news is i can make the ride in a few weeks time. :cool: :cool:

the bad news is you're not all going to die :evil: :evil: :evil:

Attachments

• DSF9251-copy.jpg
    DSF9251-copy.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 996

Sorry about this chaps and yes it was a difficult decision for us to make but im sure you all understand why, I just hope it perks up for next time :|
hope to see you all at the re-run,
Lee.

I was just about to bail too anyway as the weather in Huddersfield is shocking.
If its like this in town:

null_zpsa21b8058.jpg

which BTW is one of the main roads into town, then the M62 will be impassable. I struggled to get up the hills and pulling out of junctions was almost impossible in places.

I'm up for doing it another weekend - please make it a Saturday though please!!

Thanks to all.

Back