Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ CANCELLED

Re: Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ 23/03/13

TedC":3t8spo29 said:
Fun though it looks - as John says the journey is going to be pants, so its a pass from me, and also John. :(

Yeah, sorry chaps. Following a three way phone conference between Ted, myself and Michael Fish we decided to pike. Shame but got to be pragmatic.

For those who are able to make it - enjoy :)

northerndave":1bs8g9qq said:
There's a bit more in Coniston aparently. Will be heading to have a quick look at the trails to see how off road looks if I don't run out of light.
I was supposed to be staying north of coniston which is probably why he said it was quite bad. Either that or as it was a non refundable rate I was probably the only one staying and he fancied a lie in tomorrow morning so fobbed me off :shock: :|

Having seen the trail though I think it's skis not bikes needed :LOL:

I was coming up with Rob but he is now sick ( not sick good ) was also waiting to see how the weather panned out .....so it is with regret that I have to say i am out

northerndave":17oqgtbm said:
Just went to check out what the trails are looking like.

BF-vAQ5CUAAT4N3.jpg:large

This is just north of Ambleside. If I'm honest I'm not sure how rideable it's going to be tomorrow.

This isn't filling me with confidence. :(

Just driven back from Hawkshead and roads are still fine where they have been cleared. Seems to be shoe deep in places it can collect.

I think it's more about if you can get here or not.

Views and ambiance are excellent though :)

Bad news; SLM Racing Stu and myself won't be joining you due to the dire weather predictions for overnight. A pity, as I like the Lake District in snow, it's just getting there! Looks like I will be testing out my snowstuds on Flasby Fell instead.

Rich Aitch":1do7rv1l said:
FluffyChicken":1do7rv1l said:
well I'm about to head of there in a few hours along the full stretch of the m62 which looks to be crawling and even possibly closed near huddersfield. anyone know what skipton area is like and that road. might turn of and go round Bradford way.

the upside is we have no snow here lol.
Am at home today in Skipton, having booked annual leave weeks ago to repaint my windows :roll: It's been slushing all day but the buses are still running and haven't noticed any extra traffic on the high st which means that the A65 should be clear.

See you all tommorrow, as far as I know me and SLM Racing are still planning to come up... I have snow tyres :cool: But I don't think Stu's van does...

Sorry Rich it is not worth it, I am sure we could get there but it's the idiots on the road that concern me, better off missing this one :(

Im really starting to have doubts now,I mean, is ANYBODY going??

Okay, I've just had a chat with MrLee and a few other people and about this and we have come to the difficult decision to cancel tomorrow's ride.

It's late March and nobody could have predicted these sorts of conditions when the calendar was formulated a few months ago.
While tomorrow's riding could be a little tricky, I suspect that for many the journey to the Lake District would be much more hazardous.

I see that quite a few people have decided that this is the case and I completely respect and understand that.
I also don't think a 6am start to tackle whatever the overnight snowfalls may bring on the M6 is really worth it for a few hours bike riding.

Apologies to anyone who has already made the journey to the Lakes and apologies for the lateness of this announcement.

If anyone is there and wants to have a go at the route then the map can be found here: --> http://www.drystonepaul.com/Retrobike/R ... on-Map.jpg

Re: Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ CANCELLE

Obviously I'm gutted (spikes are fitted ready for a 5am start!), but I think given the drop out rate there isn't really much else you could responsibly do in the circumstances :( A shame but there it is, I probably mentioned a sunny weekend a while ago and jinxed it! :LOL:

I hope this isn't to be the end of this round though, there must be a little space in the schedule in the not too distant future...? ;)

Back