Clever Neighbour Eh?

I don't think I could have waited for him to own up! I can't help thinking that I'd have lost the plot there and then.

Chopper1192":2rndfym0 said:
There's no law preventing a private individual recording a face to face conversation and submitting it in evidence.

thanks Chopper - do you have to inform that you are doing so?

Carlos Da Silva":2nmpfyvg said:
jimo746":2nmpfyvg said:
I'm guessing that he'll be trying to avoid you for the forseeable future ;)

Reminds me of when I moved my car out of the way of the garage so that my (now-ex) father in law could reverse his car out. I'm sat in my car and watch dumbfounded as he proceeds to reverse into my car :shock: Then he gets out, walks to the back of his car for a look, licks his hand and rubs the scratches on his bumper and then gets back in and drives off! I was incredulous!
When asked about it he said he didn't realise he'd bumped my car :roll: he obviously hadn't realised I was sat in the damn thing at the time! Eventually he paid up for repairs to my car, although to this day he still denies he ran into my car :facepalm:

I'm sorry but that's quality! Some people have no conscience. If I had the time I'd tell you about a garage who was meant to be repairing my car...in a nutshell, they disconnected the odometer, used it for personal use and pranged it twice. Icing on the cake was when I turned up early one morning unannounced at the garage to find that my car was at the mechanic's home address. Cost me £26,000 to repair...he wasn't in business 12 months later.

Was that a Porsche or something?

Well, I don't reckon you'll be leaving your bikes lying around behind someone's car in the future, whether on your land or not.
Sorry, but no sympathy here; you just don't seem pissed off enough...

zetecmk2":1fsjmthj said:
i ran over my own bike.

where do i stand....legally?

You're clearly the one at fault here, no contest. I suggest you settle out of court to save on the solicitors fees.

The amount of compensation you award to yourself will depend on the value of the bike you ran over, then multiply that by a factor of 5.2 to take into account emotional trauma, and you should have a fair amount of compo to go buy a new bike with :D :LOL:

If you also injured yourself when you ran over the bike (eg whiplash), then you would have to claim against yourself again for suitable comensation for that injury... I take it the car was not damaged in the incident?

If your missus asks what the hell is going on, just tell her you had to settle out of court, she'll understand...hopefully... :shock: :LOL:

jimo746":1plmrkia said:
zetecmk2":1plmrkia said:
i ran over my own bike.

where do i stand....legally?

You're clearly the one at fault here, no contest. I suggest you settle out of court to save on the solicitors fees.

The amount of compensation you award to yourself will depend on the value of the bike you ran over, then multiply that by a factor of 5.2 to take into account emotional trauma, and you should have a fair amount of compo to go buy a new bike with :D :LOL:

If you also injured yourself when you ran over the bike (eg whiplash), then you would have to claim against yourself again for suitable comensation for that injury... I take it the car was not damaged in the incident?

If your missus asks what the hell is going on, just tell her you had to settle out of court, she'll understand...hopefully... :shock: :LOL:
win win situation then :LOL:
shame, i had that money put away for household bills...i'll have to get another bike now! "but babe, it was an accident" hmmmmmm.........

BobCatMax":1eza9ubx said:
Chopper1192":1eza9ubx said:
There's no law preventing a private individual recording a face to face conversation and submitting it in evidence.

thanks Chopper - do you have to inform that you are doing so?
No law requiring you to tell them, and probably best that you didn't as they might regard that as a bit confrontational and it could aggravate things.

Good luck.

Update as promised...saw my neighbour today.

He admitted it and apologised...so no need to get litigious or throw the toys out of the pram! He said that he thought he hadn't hit it and couldn't see any damage so didn't hang about to say anything to me. Whilst a little flimsy and I'm still personally disappointed that he didn't come and say anything either way at the time/ask if my bike was OK, he was humble enough for me to just say that "these things happen". He's agreed to cover the costs...should just be a rear hanger and rear mech.

Back