Chesini X-bike 60s?

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
My new project, anyone with any info on this type of bike please let rip,I'm in unchartered territory!

Lovely chrome ornate lugs and enamel badge at headtube, 26" solid axle wheels but will take 700c except dropouts are only 8mm at front ( have to measure rear ).

Chesini logo is metal and embossed on down tube.

I need an earlier bar / stem combo if anyone can make a suggestion as to what would be period 'correct'

54 seat ct-ct, 56 top ct-ct. Single chain ring and 4 speed rear cluster.

paint and cotter pins to sort, anyone know what crank this is?

gallery here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/domhf9h0zajkma6/YngEfyc26K

Attachments

• Chesini x-bike 2.jpg
    Chesini x-bike 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 623
  • Chesini x-bike1.jpg
    Chesini x-bike1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 623
  • Chesini x-bike2.jpg
    Chesini x-bike2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 623
There is so much I like about that! Chesini have knocked out some of the best bikes I've seen, their attention to detail is second to none imho.

It looks to me that it should never have had 26" wheels, perhaps sprints (700c) or 27" hp's.

Close up of the crank would help to identify it....

I presume that looped piece in the frame is to stiffen the bb area?

Internal routed gear cables are a lovely touch as is the chrome and that downtube badge....well what can I say!?

Tel":1pigrcc2 said:
There is so much I like about that! Chesini have knocked out some of the best bikes I've seen, their attention to detail is second to none imho.

It looks to me that it should never have had 26" wheels, perhaps sprints (700c) or 27" hp's.

Close up of the crank would help to identify it....

I presume that looped piece in the frame is to stiffen the bb area?

Internal routed gear cables are a lovely touch as is the chrome and that downtube badge....well what can I say!?

wow thanks Tel...crank closeup and other pics here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/domhf9h0zajkma6/YngEfyc26K

the toptube is badly scarred, original colour underneath was metallic emerald green ( nice :cool: )...the 700C wheel I tried have normal 10mm axles with QR, and won't fit the dropouts, so either file out to fit or I have some 27 1/4 sold axels I'll measure up.
Mulling over choice of bars and stem...

Just love the head tube on it. Nice and classy.

I'd go for a Cinelli 1a stem and Criterium bars if I you were after some replacements.

I think you'd want something older style like a 3ttt record (with the nut type fixing rather than allen key) or a GB Spearpoint but something English doesn't seem right.

You named the thread 'X-Bike' why was that? If thats the case then perhaps 26" wheels would have been standard fitting....

Tel":1phd6xh5 said:
I think you'd want something older style like a 3ttt record (with the nut type fixing rather than allen key) or a GB Spearpoint but something English doesn't seem right.

You named the thread 'X-Bike' why was that? If thats the case then perhaps 26" wheels would have been standard fitting....

the 'grab handle' between seat tube and down tube? or am I being thick? :shock:

could be but cables under top tube and I think even back then x-bikes used canti's. Out of my area of expertise though so perhaps you'r right....

Back