Any idea on the make/model of my front suspension?

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Any idea on the make/model of the front suspension?

Can anyone help me identify the make and or model of the front suspension in my 2006/2007 Specialized rockhopper?
Please ignore the Rock shox stickers im sure there not original!!!!

009.jpg

007.jpg

013.jpg

Any help would be cool

Neil

Re: Any idea on the make of the front suspension?

MynameisCasper":39than5o said:
Marzocchi?

I would say so, that's the trademark Marzocchi arch alright, not sure of exact model though.. hmmm... air chambers both sides?

Similar, but not the same I don't think, the dropouts look different to me, and I don't recall seeing DJ's with gold stanchions?? I could be wrong though.

They do remind me of some MX Comp's that I had a while ago though.... except for the white lowers...what's with the black & red on the dropouts? have the lowers been repainted and that's the paint underneath coming through?

They are Marzocchi lowers for sure, but they look like Rockshox uppers, specifically and older model Recon by the look of the crown which is the same as Tora crown but Recons used Alu stanchions, Tora are all steel. It's the webbing from the top of the legs to the steerer that makes me think it's a hybrid.... very odd.

Both forks used 32mm stanchions, not sure if they are the same width though, you cna fit RS lowers on Fox uppers and vice versa but I've never tried with Marzocchi, might be a franken-fork of somekind.

If they are RS uppers then the internals are probably not as RS forks don't use an air chamber in both legs.

I could be wrong of course...

Tora/Recon Crown
bigDSCF2092.JPG

IMG_1782.jpg

jimo746":1uuedbji said:
Similar, but not the same I don't think, the dropouts look different to me, and I don't recall seeing DJ's with gold stanchions?? I could be wrong though.

They do remind me of some MX Comp's that I had a while ago though.... except for the white lowers...what's with the black & red on the dropouts? have the lowers been repainted and that's the paint underneath coming through?
The previous owner decided to paint the lowers, very strange! Y?

I agree with Amedais.

The lowers are definitely Marzocchi. I think that shape was introduced in 2003, but the crown is wrong. That era forks reflected the M at the front. Not only that but the stanchions are not the right colour...Marzocchi gold stanchions are much darker. That colour is more like Rock Shox stanchions. After 2003 all Marzocchi forks had black or nitrate stanchions. The 2003 dirt jumpers had gold stanchions but the crown is wrong, after that dirt jumpers had silver (steel) stanchions or black ones on later models.

That's RockShox gold indeed. I just checked both my 2007 and 2011 Reba forkss, and both crowns don't have that upward facing rear angle.
Looks like old (pre-2010) Recon to me indeed, but with custom(ized) internals.

Should be fun dropping that bike off at an LBS and asking him to overhaul the fork. :LOL:

Back