Kona Kilauea 1997

Very nice frames them :)
On the decal front best advice i can give is to measure each one cos as al-onestare said they come in different sizes, my Easton framed '97 Kona U'hu has almost double the size downtube decals as a steel frame.
Konaben82 sorted mine out perfectly including the"Suspension Experience" one on the top tube which is unique to the full sus frames and no one else seems to do substituting it with "Race Lite" instead.
i haven't got any pics of them yet as the frame is of f being sprayed.

dyson":36616ghl said:
Col, your cinder cone is awesome! The colour details make it. Glad you had positive words about Hendersons. When I talked to them they good advice about powdercoating vs two pack and appreciated that they went through the best option for me.

In terms of saving the paint Ill post the worst bits later. I dont mind a slightly different colour but the decals really are different.

Yours will look good once touched up .. Most of the bad bits are mostly hidden in use anyway ..

Good luck and I'm looking forward to new pics of restored beauty :cool:

Thanks all for the tips.

I will try to touch up the frame as best as possible. If it does not work out so good then nothing lost and Ill have to go the full respray route but at least I can get some better decals from konaben.

Pics when more progress

You'd be surprised what you can achieve with a bullet-tipped Pentel permanent marker pen...

...my daughter now has my '97 but I can't help thinking it's a nicer frame than the Explosif that replaced it.

I think if you give that a really good deep clean, and remove the worst of the surface rust you could defo treat it with the right products and tentatively touch up a few of the more obvious areas. Of course it's your machine so it's up to you!

Thanks Al. I have been at work with the t cut and the paint does look better but there are just so many, scuffs, mark etc etc.

On a positive note some of the rust is purely surface, wet and dry carefully applied soon shifted it.

Ill do some more work before photos. Difficult decision though!

Well after a few evenings the Kona is starting to look better.

First off was a good t cut, the front triangle came up a treat, although I may have been too over enthusiastic as it may have lifted some lacquer I think.

Next stop was touching in the chips. Revell metallic blue and a match for the yellow decals which are passable. There is still alot to do as I have been having to add a few layers of paint. Not sure what to do about the "Pace light" decal on the top tube though. Overall it is looking much better but will be a loooonnnnnggggg job

Before

2013-03-11 15.19.43 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

2013-03-11 15.19.08 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

After

2013-03-15 17.13.23 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

2013-03-15 16.16.45 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

2013-03-15 16.15.51 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

2013-03-15 16.12.36 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

Just ordered a new Columbus Cyber badge from ebay (£9!) and hopefully more work this weekend on the paint. Would it be worth clear coating after to help protect all the work?

Back