The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

Still no links to catalogues as support?

Pyro Tim":6uk1zmwk said:
my 94 Axis, was about £800 new. It is rigid, almost completely original and 23.5lb with pedals

Edit: I've swapped the saddle, and put SPDs on it. It wouldn't have SPDs originally, so I've added weight. It has original tyres. The saddle I swapped a Bonty ti for a Flite Ti, so very little weight difference.

Really? The 1992 catalogue lists the axis pro as 25.5 lbs in standard form with full XTR.

Russell":vkki5d4x said:
Pyro Tim":vkki5d4x said:
my 94 Axis, was about £800 new. It is rigid, almost completely original and 23.5lb with pedals

Edit: I've swapped the saddle, and put SPDs on it. It wouldn't have SPDs originally, so I've added weight. It has original tyres. The saddle I swapped a Bonty ti for a Flite Ti, so very little weight difference.
Really? The 1992 catalogue lists the axis pro as 25.5 lbs in standard form with full XTR.
I've got a 92 Axis with OX tubing (as well as a 91 with OX tubing) and those frames are notably heavier than the TT-Lite frames used in the Apex and Axis in subsequent years.

I'm not saying the TT-Lite frames were a couple of pounds lighter than the OX frames, mind, but they were most certainly lighter - I've held one of each in my hands, and at a guess, I'd say the OX frames were 5-something pounds, and I've weighed a TT-Lite frame at, I think, 2100-something grammes, so a reasonable amount of weight difference in the frames.

I'd say there's quite a difference, at least for DBs of that era, from 92, compared with 94 / 95.

highlandsflyer":1xf1q1bo said:
Kona Explosif was in that range way back.

Plenty hardtails in the mid nineties in that price bracket and weight range.

1995 Explosif listed as 24.4 lbs so you're out I'm afraid, unless you're going to try to convince me that the P2 forked version is a fair comparison? (24.65lbs in 1994, fwiw) and I'm pretty sure that it was more than £900.

Seriously, get over yourselves. Who cares? Give a decent rider any bike and they will make the most of it whether its 4 weeks or 4 decades old.

Its a business, flat lining, burgeoning, whatever. Somebody wants to make money out of you and they will do their utmost to destroy the reputation of whatever last years big thing was regardless of cost/ weight/ height/ smell/ hue...

Just enjoy cycling ffs.

1994 Explosif as sold was available at that price and was well under 24 with P2s, and why the hell is that not a fair comparison?

'Mid range' bikes of that vintage were just as commonly specced rigid.

And if you look at Alu bikes of those years many come well under that ceiling weight.

My 1991 Raleigh Montage, fresh from the bike shop INCLUDING spoke reflectors and full-length mudguards, weighed 20.072 lb, I KNOW this for a FACT because I did an endo on my Mum's bathroom scales. I don't care what the Raleigh catalogue said. In comparison, my LBS has a Lapierre Pro Race 700, and when I tried to lift it off the floor I dislocated my shoulder, and it cracked the floor tile as I dropped it. That's IRREFUTABLE proof that old MTBs were better and less gay than the new sh1t.

Also, I like bikes.

highlandsflyer":1vt6l4a3 said:
1994 Explosif as sold was available at that price and was well under 24 with P2s, and why the hell is that not a fair comparison?

'Mid range' bikes of that vintage were just as commonly specced rigid.

And if you look at Alu bikes of those years many come well under that ceiling weight.

Have you read the thread? Sam specified a steel bike.

Yes, some aluminium bikes will come under the weight limit, but you paid a premium for aluminium frames back then and they would almost certainly not hit the £900 limit

The modern bike is a hardtail, not rigid, hence we should really be comparing hardtails no? Although even if we do accept the rigid Explosif, its still the only example thats been found... hardly a ringing endorsement of the 'modern bikes are heavy' nonsense that gets spouted.

Russell":3ip39xpq said:
Pyro Tim":3ip39xpq said:

DiamondBackAxis1994.jpg

Oof... 23lbs.... lovely.

How much was it?

Back