The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

I think the key thing here is that other stuff is actually more important than weight, and the market has recognised that. Although I'm not convinced that listed weights are much less prevalent now than they used to be. The listed ones BITD were pretty much plucked out of the manufacturers' bumholes anyway ;)

samc":1zyquft2 said:
23.8lbs is without pedals. So not sub-24 lbs. In the 90s, £900 ish would get you quite a lot (certainly sub-24lbs, even steel framed)

Example of a sub 24lb, steel framed, £900 bike please... With pedals.

MikeD":6zhnk9wq said:
The listed ones BITD were pretty much plucked out of the manufacturers' bumholes anyway ;)
Not much has changed then. :D

Russell":28tg1lac said:
samc":28tg1lac said:
23.8lbs is without pedals. So not sub-24 lbs. In the 90s, £900 ish would get you quite a lot (certainly sub-24lbs, even steel framed)

I think my first MTB, 1990 or 91 Trek 970, rigid, deore DX (?) was in the 26lb range, and £899. So not a huge way out.

mattr":1kuk09k6 said:
Russell":1kuk09k6 said:
samc":1kuk09k6 said:

I think my first MTB, 1990 or 91 Trek 970, rigid, deore DX (?) was in the 26lb range, and £899. So not a huge way out.

Its quite a long way out as a percentage, and there's no proof that it weighed that as Trek didn't quote weights in their 1991 catalogue.... Oh hold on, how did this thread start!

Come on... Somebody link to a retro catalogue that shows a steel framed bike that's sub 24lbs and £900. Lets put this to bed once and for all.

my 94 Axis, was about £800 new. It is rigid, almost completely original and 23.5lb with pedals

Edit: I've swapped the saddle, and put SPDs on it. It wouldn't have SPDs originally, so I've added weight. It has original tyres. The saddle I swapped a Bonty ti for a Flite Ti, so very little weight difference.

Russell":31cm6k5n said:
samc":31cm6k5n said:
My 95 Apex was claimed to be around the 24lb mark and that retailed at £699 BITD. The Axis, with the same frame and fork, but better finishing kit probably was a little lighter, although retail was £999.

They were both TT-Lite frames, steel rigid (Spinner) forks, and Mavic 230 rims. I always ran (still do) Tioga Surefoot VIIs which are reasonably light, and I would have thought £300 in more upmarket parts should have lightened the load between Apex and Axis?

I'm sure there were other similarly light-ish production bikes around the mid 90s.

my wife's Hahanna comes in at 27lb, and that was bottom of the range!

Kona Explosif was in that range way back.

Plenty hardtails in the mid nineties in that price bracket and weight range.

MikeD, my assertion about 98 v 2012 bikes is based on my opinion. I couldn't really base it on anything else, as most bike sites and magazines have the sense to compare ride quality and apllicability rather than dwell on weight.

I doubt very much that I am wrong, as the trend lately is much more towards all the gear no idea machines.

BobCatMax":11tk56eu said:
Rob H":11tk56eu said:
Prehaps light weight isn't the be all and end all:

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6801

I'm sure you could pick a million and one holes in the study and come up with a plethora of reasons why it's not applicable to mountain biking but it makes for an interesting read all the same.

I enjoyed that, ta

Ditto.

Back