The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

Rob H":149nec76 said:
Prehaps light weight isn't the be all and end all:

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6801

I'm sure you could pick a million and one holes in the study and come up with a plethora of reasons why it's not applicable to mountain biking but it makes for an interesting read all the same.

I enjoyed that, ta

mattr":3q3nupmt said:
Now, suspension travel and the number of pointless pivots and mm of travel you have are king. Hardtails are a far smaller percentage of the (much bigger) market. So far more people are riding 35lb+ full sussers than ever were. And they look for MORE travel, MORE strength, so everything gets heavier......... a lot of them can't ride for toffee either ;o)

There really aren't that many people riding 35lb+ FS bikes on normal trails. Mostly it's sub-30lb 120mm ish bikes. Most people were riding barely sub-30lb bikes twenty years ago too. Also the MTB market isn't bigger, it's been pretty much flat for quite a few years now. There are more expensive bikes available, and people are buying bikes more often or owning more than one bike.

Regardless of that, I'm not sure that an early-90s 23lb race hardtail is any more suitable for all-round trail riding than an overweight, over-travel FS bike. Differently unsuitable, perhaps ;)

mattr":3q3nupmt said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised in the major market share for enthusiast sales is now the 1000-1500 full sussers. 20 years ago it was the equivalent value on HTs. (allowing for inflation of course!)

Seems fair. But my essential point stands -- there's a difference between "heavy modern bikes are available and some people choose to ride them" and "modern bikes are heavy".

I'm pretty sure my 1999 Rockhopper was roughly 30lb with pedals.

To be honest, losing weight off my body seemed a better solution than seeking ultra-lightweight bikes.

I'm a crap rider no matter what I'm riding. On serious trails though, my Norco full susser is more comfy, and as some have said, lets me get away with stuff I wouldn't be able to ride otherwise, much as the advent of sticky rubber (and chalk) probably added a grade to my climbing ability way back in the past.

Oh and the Norco weighs about 30lb too, so similar to the old Rocky.

In 1991 I was riding a Raleigh Dynatech Mission that weighed 28lbs. It was fully rigid, canti braked.

I'm now riding (amongst others) a Whyte T120s, full suspension, disc brakes etc. It weighs 28lbs.

Modern bikes heavier? Nope, its just not true.

I would say the average mid range bike of 2013 is heavier than the same of 1998.

Russell":1xq7zqpi said:
In 1991 I was riding a Raleigh Dynatech Mission that weighed 28lbs. It was fully rigid, canti braked.

I'm now riding (amongst others) a Whyte T120s, full suspension, disc brakes etc. It weighs 28lbs.

Modern bikes heavier? Nope, its just not true.

QFT.

highlandsflyer":23zy0il9 said:
I would say the average mid range bike of 2013 is heavier than the same of 1998.

Thing is that there are so many different kinds of bikes now that "average mid range bike" is kind of hard to define. When everything was a rigid bike you just had one continuum from "cheap and heavy" to "light and expensive" and you could easily point at "mid range". Nowadays, not so much.

MikeD, what are you doing, talking sense!? It'll never catch on... ;)

I'm going to throw the Boardman HT Pro Carbon into the ring: 23.8lbs, full carbon monocoque, full SRAM X9, SID RLT forks, top-spec Elixir CR brakes, £1600.

1992 equivalent price £915. What cost £915 back then, and was it as high-spec'd?

I love retrobikes, don't get me wrong, but some of the misconceptions about newer stuff are just laughable.

gradeAfailure":3h9hvrpb said:
Boardman HT Pro Carbon into the ring: 23.8lbs, full carbon monocoque, full SRAM X9, SID RLT forks, top-spec Elixir CR brakes, £1600.

1992 equivalent price £915. What cost £915 back then, and was it as high-spec'd?

I love retrobikes, don't get me wrong, but some of the misconceptions about newer stuff are just laughable.

23.8lbs is without pedals. So not sub-24 lbs. In the 90s, £900 ish would get you quite a lot (certainly sub-24lbs, even steel framed), and a loaf of bread and a flat cap. The point is not that light bikes don't exist these days, it's that they could be eeeven lighter, for eeeeven less.

And although reviews sites might weigh the test bikes, I bet if you walk into Halfords they'll show you a Boardman without any idea of the weight; it's just not on radar.

Back