Original Time ATAC service & spares

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone any tips on servicing original time ATAC pedals, specifically removing the old bearing without smashing the dust cap to bits.

This guide in the wiki > Time ATAC pedal rebuild sets it out nicely. However when removing the bearing from axle (step 10) it seems impossible to get it off without breaking the black dust cap pictured above. Sadly this dust cap seems necessary for keeping the axle tight on the pedal body.

Ridden ATACs since they came out and never recall an issue, not sure if this is becasue I've simply not service any (as evidenced by the bag of spare pedals).

Alternately does anyone know a part number for this part and if Time (or their UK importers) carry spares....

hello john

as seen in the pic (nbr 11), the bearing seems to remove from the outer side of the axis, you don't have to break the cover dust, he removed after when the bearing is gone. isn't it ?

cheers
christophe

The issue is the bearing is such a tight fit on the axle the only way to remove it I found is to hit it from behind. The rear of the bearing is of course covered by the dust seal. Think what I need is a little bearing puller....

R J Chicken might have spares.
Does the dust cover have pin holes? If it does use an old spoke bent in half. If not I've got one off using zip ties and electrical tape round the dust cover, then a vice. Don't overtighten!

I use a short length of plastic pipe I got from the local hardware ( you could also use a deep socket for this ). Just slip it over the axle threads so It contacts the black seal, place it all in a vise and press the bearing and seal off. If there's a lot of rust use a drop of penetrating oil the night before.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back