Mint 1997 Kona Cindercone completed! Ride her or hide her?

Garage Queen or Fun Machine?

• Hide Her

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Ride Her

Votes: 29 96.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Mint 1997 Kona Cindercone completed! Ride her or hide he

Ride her, man! Get yer leg over but for goodness sake get a shorter stem before you do! :D Something about 75mm as opposed to 975mm :LOL:

Haha!

Thanks for comments so far guys.
I guess youre all right with your comments up to now and it appears that after only a few hours, theres an early leader in terms of votes!

Things mentioned:
Skinwalls? - Not period but they look better in flesh than the blacks, but only IMO I suppose?
Shorter stem? - ....yeah, youre right. May hunt for something bit shorter in near future?

Cheers

I've got a 130mm on my mtb and 80mm on my road bike ;)

Just ride it!! Even if it was original etc, still ride it!!! :D

As for tyres on the Raleigh, I'd use maxxis 2.5" hookworms, large, slickish but grippy, big volume, low pressure - perfect for child carrying duties!!!

What I'd do for the perfect child carrier imo - those tyres, 'mary' bars, good strong brakes and nice easy gears :D

To be honest - if you're worried about damaging her... what are you actually going to do? Really? Take it a tiny bit easy on stuff that you think you might drop it and you won't bend or chip here. Failing that it's just mud - and that hoses off. :) Go ride and enjoy, it's what they are built for. :)

dongward":3po3e5cx said:
Ride her, man! Get yer leg over but for goodness sake get a shorter stem before you do! :D Something about 75mm as opposed to 975mm :LOL:

Nothing wrong with the stem length - it worked back then and it'll work now.

Ride her ... After the first spray of mud the grinning takes over :LOL:

The skin walls look ok I had them on my kula(splashbacks) however I went for black walls on my newly finished 99 Explosif and they do look/suit better ;)

First hand knowledge if your Judy rebuild tells me you should ride this and revel in just how bloody superb the Kronos spring upgrade is..

If you don't ride it, it's just a wall hanger....

al-onestare":11g7ptuj said:
dongward":11g7ptuj said:

Nothing wrong with the stem length - it worked back then and it'll work now.

You could be right - if you like cruising and changing direction two weeks after turning the handlebars that is the stem for you

"It worked back then". Depends on your definition of "worked". Compared to a modern rigid or hard tail the old tin with these stems steered like supertankers, the idea being to make the front end manageable when off road. We've since discovered that we won't suddenly lose our grip or snap our wrists from the effort of hanging on with shorter stems.

But that's part of the Retrobike charm, riding things as they were back then. If it works for you leave it one there.

Not wishing to sound offensive

it's a cindercone..it's not a rare beast and not exspensive to make good again....ride the bugger and start to enjoy it :D

Back