Clamp on derraileur and shifter sliding

Glc gav

Retro Newbie
Hi, I am having trouble setting up a bike. Bought a clamp on shimano arabesque shifter and dura ace front derraileur. Both clamps fit the tube. Unfortunately every time I shift the derailleur or shifter moves. I have tried putting a rubber spacer in to grip but this doesn't work.

Anyone have any other ideas how to stop the sliding? I can't braze anything onto the bike as it has just had respray.
I'm thinking as a last resort super glue...

Cheers gavin

Hi,
I never done this before just an idea! I presume you could buy some rubber and cut it to shape, placing it between the frame and the shifters? It would also stop any further scratching.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-RUBB ... 4169cd921a
James.

oops sorry its late! should have read that more closely before posting!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If the clamp is the correct size for the frame then nothing moves.....there is a mismatch somewhere :(

Any pics?

Shaun

I am with Shaun, a correctly fitted clamp on derailleur of shifter doesn't even need to be torqued down very hard to stay in place. Maybe there is some kind of obstruction that is preventing the bolt from fully being tightened?

PTFE tape wouldn't work either, PTFE's primary use is as a non-stick coating.

Assuming the clamps are the right size and everything is put together correctly I would cut strips from an aluminium drink can and use them to make shims, similar to the rubber ones you get with light brackets.

Degrease, clean up and then try some grip paste. The same stuff you use on carbon seatposts and bars to stop them slipping.

Thanks for replies. Admittedly the clamp for derraileur is slightly too big but will fashion a shim for it. The gear shifter is a perfect fit. The fixing paste, where can you buy that from? Cheers

Back