Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

oldave":1tigoecc said:
Don't carry a pump (gas cartridge is lighter) nor a spare tube (2" square of patch and a half-emptied tube of glue lighter) nor a multi-tool (never ride alone and borrow). That'll save you half a grand on lighter components! And DO NOT have breakfast.

nobody likes the guy who turns up naked. And bonking because you haven't fed properly wont make you popular either.

Continental supersonic tubes are the thick end of 100g/wheel lighter than normal ones

They're not that expensive, and with thick old tyres they shouldnt fare too much worse on punctures either

Well, guys, after your help and suggestions and advice I changed a few bits.

I changed the stem to a Syncros Polished stem (Thanks Fudd - in fact it's the same one from Fudds RSP!)

I then changed the Forks to a lovely almost Minty pair of Magura Rond Quake Air - I cut the steerer to the correct size, put it together, added a gorgeous Phil Wood (matches the Bottom Bracket :D ) seat post collar as a finishing touch, and took her out for a spin.

And she rides splendidly!

The forks are quite light weight, so she feels far more balanced, much lighter, and I'm very very happy!

Only thing left to do is to shorten the Gear Cables, do something about the ugly cable tie, and then to change the Tyres - I have just bought a set of Michelin Wild Rac'R's (weigh about 495 g) but I think I'll put those on my new build (A Raleigh M-Trax 350 Elite)

Next month will get hold of some green amber wall Michelin Wildgripper Sprint's! :) that'll cut the weight down, and the Wildgrippers - along with the Magura Quake Air were the catalogue spec of this RSP. (The Magura Hydraulic rim brakes were on the M-Trax version the previous year).

But the Smoke and Darts combo may be a touch heavy, but I love them!

Anyway, so far so good, she's now light, weighing with a spring loaded luggage scales is difficult, but 23 1/2 Ibs hard tail is nice - especially one which is very nicely balanced and rides beautifully!

here how she looks now

photo_12.jpg

photo_14.jpg

photo_16.jpg

Fudd's RSP Ti

20121220_P1020780_zps3891883f.jpg

Catalogue Spec from 1999/2000 with the Green Wildgripper's

file.php

And how she was when I first built her up

photo_copy_10_1.jpg

Thank you everyone!

Complete Spec.

Frame - Raleigh RSP Titanium
Headset - Chris King No Threadset.
Bottom Bracket - Phil Wood
Crank - Syncros Forged
Chainset/Rings - Sun Ringlé
Fork - Magura Quake Air
Stem - Syncros Polished Cattlehead
Bars - X-Lite XLR Ti flat
Spacer - Ti
Seat Post - USE Alien Ti
Saddle -Flite Ti Gel
Seat Clamp - Phil Wood
Skewers - X-Lite Ti
Grips - Lizard Skin peachy
Shifters - Shimano M008
Cables - Shimano XTR
Rear Mech - Shimano XTR M900
Front Mech - Shimano XTR M901
Hubs - Shimano XTR M900
Cassette - Shimano XTR M950 8 spd.
Chain - SRAM 8 spd.
Wheels - Mavic 231
Tyres - Panaracer Smoke and Dart 2.1
Tubes - Continental with Dunlop Valve.
Brake Levers - Magura HS33
Brakes - Magura HS33
Pedals - Wellgo CNC M138

My weight weenie tips:-

tyres:- if you are a light rider you can shave a lot of weight by going for 1.8 tyres
skewers :- USE ti spinstix are very very light and not too expensive
cranks and BB combos are a good place to lose weight

Contact points - good weight saving can be made here, but is it worth it? Comfort comes first.
Fortunately I have a flite shaped bum. Eggbeaters are light pedal wise but my knees prefer Time pedals (ATAC & RXS)

Ti bolts. Only do this if you are very very bored + rich. I did this once. The firm I dealt with charged by weight of fasteners.best ti bolts I've ever bought (compared to some bike specific sellers whose bolts are made from ti flavoured cheddar).

My Pace is a little over 22lbs. Similar spec to your bike. RC38s make a big impact, as does Hope Ti-glide. Frame, when naked weighs not a lot (it feels not that dissimilar to my carbon Dolan frame, although the scales might disagree with me on that).

Quick spec: RC200 f8, XTR 95x mechs and shifters, XTR 96x v brakes, Middleburn RS7 with middleburn rings, Race face Ti taperlock bb, Dura Ace chain and cassette, USE bar and bar ends, USE Ti alien seatpost, Mavic ceramic 517s (36 lacing iirc)on Hope Ti Glide/sus hubs, USE Ti spinstix, Flite ti, RC38s, RC45 stem, Hope headset, Time ATAC carbon pedals, most bolts replaced with ti. There's a few shiny/red anodised light things I've probably forgotten.

Having shared my wisdom I confess to having fat Michelin tyres on _ they were on offer and I was skint when I needed new tyres last. :oops:

oh and don't bother fitting latex tubes. Pain in the Richard Harris. They are great so long as you are prepared to pump your tyres up every time you go out. And puncture repair kits don't work with them, glue doesn't want to stick

Buy a modern bike. Apparently they are great but really heavy so it will make our old crap look feel lighter than air...

Radar":s7d2jrch said:
My weight weenie tips:-

tyres:- if you are a light rider you can shave a lot of weight by going for 1.8 tyres
skewers :- USE ti spinstix are very very light and not too expensive
cranks and BB combos are a good place to lose weight

Contact points - good weight saving can be made here, but is it worth it? Comfort comes first.
Fortunately I have a flite shaped bum. Eggbeaters are light pedal wise but my knees prefer Time pedals (ATAC & RXS)

Ti bolts. Only do this if you are very very bored + rich. I did this once. The firm I dealt with charged by weight of fasteners.best ti bolts I've ever bought (compared to some bike specific sellers whose bolts are made from ti flavoured cheddar).

My Pace is a little over 22lbs. Similar spec to your bike. RC38s make a big impact, as does Hope Ti-glide. Frame, when naked weighs not a lot (it feels not that dissimilar to my carbon Dolan frame, although the scales might disagree with me on that).

Quick spec: RC200 f8, XTR 95x mechs and shifters, XTR 96x v brakes, Middleburn RS7 with middleburn rings, Race face Ti taperlock bb, Dura Ace chain and cassette, USE bar and bar ends, USE Ti alien seatpost, Mavic ceramic 517s (36 lacing iirc)on Hope Ti Glide/sus hubs, USE Ti spinstix, Flite ti, RC38s, RC45 stem, Hope headset, Time ATAC carbon pedals, most bolts replaced with ti. There's a few shiny/red anodised light things I've probably forgotten.

Having shared my wisdom I confess to having fat Michelin tyres on _ they were on offer and I was skint when I needed new tyres last. :oops:

Thanks man, nice spec on the Pace too - must be finger light!

I could lose almost a Ib if I change to the Wildgrippers or the Wildrace'r's and another 250g if I change the Magura's to some Avid SD 7 V's.
I could lose another 200g or so changing to M950 hubs, and even more if I went for lighter wheels - The bottom bracket is a Phil Wood, and not a Ti one, I chose this as it looks the dogs bollocks, and feels so smooth - and its longevity and build quality, but a Phil Ti would've cost much more but saved me 100g - heck, I think with money being no object I could build a sub 20 Ib hardtail with front suspension easily with this frame!!

But I think I've reached my limit, any more weight loss will only lead to higher maintenance and costs and less comfort and performance as far as this bike is concerned - I looked high and low for the perfect forks - and these I think are brilliant, and I'll be leaving the tyre's for now - though the Wildgrippers will soon be on - anything else? No, I'm done - now onto the next project, and I'll probably sell this too! hehe!!!

Your new fork is significantly shorter than your old fork. I suspect that's making a much bigger difference to the handling than the reduced weight.

(Smaller frame would be lighter too ;) )

MikeD":vtyuo6hq said:
Your new fork is significantly shorter than your old fork. I suspect that's making a much bigger difference to the handling than the reduced weight.

(Smaller frame would be lighter too ;) )

Yep, though only 10-15mm less travel in this, the frame is more suited to this fork - it being so much shorter.

Back