Single speed crankset

jitensha

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm sure there was an ss thread on this forum somewhere.... Where do you get decent SS chainsets from? Do you just use a triple crankset and bung a single ring on it? Doesn't that look a bit unsightly?
Where on earth is the SS thread?

I use a regular crank and a regular single chainring, with some singlespeed chainring bolts (they're shorter, for a single ring). I put my single ring in place of the outer chainring, so it looks ok.

There is a great big singlespeed thread at the top of the 1998---> section of the forum.

Is this unsightly???

2013-01-12192723.jpg

No Jimo, it looks the business. You've inspired me to pay more attention to the finish of stuff before assembly.

Thanks for that guys. I was having a panic attack brought on by too much Googlin'.

I do see people with a single ring in place of the "middle" ring, and it just looks plain wrong to me.
You need to think about chainline, I got some singlespeed cassette spacers from velosolo which let you place the rear sprocket where you want it, so running a single ring in place of the "outer" ring is not a problem, you can always get good chainline.
A lot of SS kits simply place the rear sprocket in the centre of the freehub, which may or may not cause you an issue if you want to put a SS ring in place of the "outer" ring.

Chainline is worrying me a bit. I've got a White Industries eccentric hub so no room for manoeuvrings at the back. So maybe I need to get the correct BB spindle length or something. More research (and bigger brain) needed.

two things......you can buy spacers as mentioned to allow you to move the rear sprocket around to get the right chainline......both of my ss bikes have triple wheeled cranks with one ring in the outer ring position, it looks fine and works great........also, on ebay i found some nos dx chainsets designed for tandems, with no granny ring holes drilled for the stoker.....they are on my cannondale and look great!.....maybe they worth a look!....

Back