fignon's handlebars

Penfold6290":2plqgph3 said:
Matt_wood55":2plqgph3 said:
TimeTrialAce":2plqgph3 said:
Wow ,blown away by all this ! Seems have gone from none to about 5 replica bikes being built up ................Amazing stuff,think Matt struck Gold there and to the original OP ,great bike ,great taste :D :D
I think when they are all done, we need to meet up! I am just South of Notts.

Dorset here...we need to do a sportive or something...I'm going to ride mine when I do the Wiggle Jurassic Beast in May.

Martin
I'm not that fit at the moment!!

Matt_wood55":2fifuer8 said:
I'm not that fit at the moment!!

Neither am I! I'm doing the 66 mile route so will be working very hard during the next 8 weeks or so to try and make myself not look foolish on the day!

Matt, that is, to coin a phrase, " a right touch my son"!
i'm really pleased for you, excellent news indeed!

i've been wondering why you have heard from Cyfac and I haven't.
Well, the evil mail marshall at work has quarantined my email as it does not relate to business, so a second email is being sent.
I'll post more if I have good news, if not then I may just slink away and cry.....

I do have three frames to ask them about, just got to get into the loft to get the frame numbers, so I have my fingers crossed! I don't recall any letters on the BB shells though......not as lucky as you!

Have you seen Graham Watson's excellent book "Tour de France and it's Heroes"?
The big cover photo is of Fignon and the tyres do look suspiciously like clinchers, no sign of any tub base tape.
If you search the portfolio under galleries on Graham's website you'll find the picture, Fignon in yellow suffering round a corner as he climbs.

I did ask Desmondo if he would sell his LF stamped frame (I wanted the forks!), he decided not to talk to me any more!

Bodie, I need some of your rage.
Uphill in the big ring? I'm afraid that option went 20 years ago with all of my youthful power!
Mind you, like the middle-aged fool that I am, I'm going for 180mm cranks and 54/39 chainrings!

Perhaps we should start a special section for owners of Super U/Castorama rides?
We could run our own sportive - 5 riders, 30 miles, two cake stops!

Richie

bigfatron":33dzja4f said:
Matt, that is, to coin a phrase, " a right touch my son"!
i'm really pleased for you, excellent news indeed!

i've been wondering why you have heard from Cyfac and I haven't.
Well, the evil mail marshall at work has quarantined my email as it does not relate to business, so a second email is being sent.
I'll post more if I have good news, if not then I may just slink away and cry.....

I do have three frames to ask them about, just got to get into the loft to get the frame numbers, so I have my fingers crossed! I don't recall any letters on the BB shells though......not as lucky as you!

Have you seen Graham Watson's excellent book "Tour de France and it's Heroes"?
The big cover photo is of Fignon and the tyres do look suspiciously like clinchers, no sign of any tub base tape.
If you search the portfolio under galleries on Graham's website you'll find the picture, Fignon in yellow suffering round a corner as he climbs.

I did ask Desmondo if he would sell his LF stamped frame (I wanted the forks!), he decided not to talk to me any more!

Bodie, I need some of your rage.
Uphill in the big ring? I'm afraid that option went 20 years ago with all of my youthful power!
Mind you, like the middle-aged fool that I am, I'm going for 180mm cranks and 54/39 chainrings!

Perhaps we should start a special section for owners of Super U/Castorama rides?
We could run our own sportive - 5 riders, 30 miles, two cake stops!

Richie
Hello Mate

In Fignon's book, there is a section about Hi-Lites and the benefit they gave him in the wet, so the team definitely tried them.

Were the frame numbers 6 digit? I would be surprised if the frame you pictured in the post with the Cinelli bbkt and 8mm hole isn't cyfac. Raleigh never to my knowledge used that shell.

Do you have decal recommendations? I need a set to sent to Cyfac, and they need to be good!!

Three frames - where's the pics!!

Matt

For decals I would say Greg at Cyclomondo does the best available. You may want to make some measurements and ask him to shorten the seat tube decal though because I fancy the set I had were intended for a bigger bike and will extend lower than I would have liked.

Best thing is to email him and ask him to measure each one in turn and then to resize accordingly, the quality of the end result will be well worth spending some time getting them right. His set does not include the 'Raleigh' or 'Maxi Sport' decal for the top tube but Stephen (forum member Kettlo) will be able to help you here.

Martin

Penfold6290":11vqv7a9 said:
For decals I would say Greg at Cyclomondo does the best available. You may want to make some measurements and ask him to shorten the seat tube decal though because I fancy the set I had were intended for a bigger bike and will extend lower than I would have liked.

Best thing is to email him and ask him to measure each one in turn and then to resize accordingly, the quality of the end result will be well worth spending some time getting them right. His set does not include the 'Raleigh' or 'Maxi Sport' decal for the top tube but Stephen (forum member Kettlo) will be able to help you here.

Martin
Cool, thanks. Speaking with Cyfac, they will more than likely spray the main colours and just use the lettering and herons from the decal set. Shame they don't have any original decals left, but you can't hang on to things forever can you!!

On lookout for C-record gear sets. Did you go with c-rec levers or Simplex?

Matt

It was the heron insignia specifically that was so much better on the Cyclomondo set so I definitely recommend you get Greg to send you some.

I have chosen C Record index levers, whether they work or not is another thing but I am keen to give Syncro II a go. I have a couple of new Regina America 92 F/wheels sorted (to fit to my NOS Wolber TX profile rim/C Record hub wheelset) and a Regina Super Racing chain which is suggested to be a combination that works. I have the blue lever insert that is supposed to work with a C Record RD.

Martin

Penfold6290":2hkqp6vx said:
It was the heron insignia specifically that was so much better on the Cyclomondo set so I definitely recommend you get Greg to send you some.

I have chosen C Record index levers, whether they work or not is another thing but I am keen to give Syncro II a go. I have a couple of new Regina America 92 F/wheels sorted (to fit to my NOS Wolber TX profile rim/C Record hub wheelset) and a Regina Super Racing chain which is suggested to be a combination that works. I have the blue lever insert that is supposed to work with a C Record RD.

Martin
Cheers - I have some friction C-Record on another bike, they are fine for me. It's not like I have the power that the pros have, so no real benefit to Simplex, just the originality thing!

I am torn between originality (which has gone out of the window due to the wishbone stay issue) and having a bike I enjoy riding...if truth be told, and you must promise not to tell anyone, I got to like the indexing on the 105 group that was on the Dyna Tech before I took it to pieces. I know Syncro is legendary in being just about adequate at best but I am keen to give it a go!

there's a frenchman on ebay (dizzibird) with a reasonable looking set of castorama decals for about 25 quid. not cheap, but they look ok. he also has gitane decals for one of my other frames.
adrian timmis gave the name of a good decal maker on his blog about his tdf peugeot, can't remember the name though - check out cadence sport blog for details.
two of my frames have raleigh decals on the headtube that have a shiny metallic for the gold, they look great.
and the frame that i am told definitely spent time with the super u team (i hope and pray for your luck matt! got to send the details to cyfac once i get into the loft for the frame numbers) has an incomplete set of decals on, gilt headtube badge, similar gilt badges on the seat tube - separate from the coloured "panel" decals - and separate "raleigh" name and lower panel decals on the forks.

i need to get some photos up. i do already have a gallery with some pictures of my old monostay frame that i rode up ventoux (picture earlier in this thread) and a 753 frame in fairly ropey condition that came with alloy vitus crono fourche. have a look for it, but i do need to update with some decent pictures of all of my frames.

i reckon the gallery 753 frame was 1990/1 castorama and shimano fitted as the internal top tube cabling exits underneath the tube - not so good for a centrepull brake like the delta (3 sets and counting - i need a 4th set, but series one, for the gitane!)

simplex retrofriction shifters only for me. i've been collecting these for ages, probably have 12 pairs now of varying quality. the prices are getting a bit silly though. the used ones aren't always great though, i think some new nylon bushes will solve it. anyone have a source?

i've also collected lots (perhaps a dozen) red coca cola bottles to go into the ta cages. getting silly prices for these too, and it seems almost impossible to get white plastic retainers for the ta cages.
and the alloy cages don't polish up that well either!

i was half joking about a super u/castorama sportive, but we should definitely try and arrange meeting up, perhaps at one of the rides already arranged?

richie

Back