Where have the white kona's gone

konacarl":qxcxqqum said:
It was a white Kona on here that got me hooked to Retrobikes :evil: . A good few years ago I wanted to get a bike and lose a couple of pounds and saw an old Lavadome on ebay. Did a bit of googling and found a few very nice ones on here and I was caught! I got it stripped it and painted it white with black forks and very nice it is too.

Not knocking them, its just that every thread was a white kona, regardless of original quality of paint, and they became less impressive (to me) when they started becoming the norm. There's some great examples on here, just not seen any for a long time.

You're right there were loads on here at one time. Don't think Kona's in general are as popular or fashionable as they were before. People seem to be going for more 'exotic' stuff at the minute.

Still used daily ;)

dsc0006ex.jpg

(I didn't chose the schema, it was what was available back when I needed a "cheap" CC frame)

Things go in cycles (no pun intended). The fake white Kilauea thing was probably overdone, so now it's died down, but the genuine ones are still going as Al says. It's noticeable how many times people do a double take when they see this around town. Maybe there are quite a few people around who would have liked one in 1995, but couldn't afford £900 to buy one.

Attachments

• 1995 Kilauea at Marrocco's.jpg
    1995 Kilauea at Marrocco's.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 212
I just wish mine was original but then the abuse from the salty roads would kill it...cracking machine Anthony.

Anthony":1fi62f6w said:
Things go in cycles (no pun intended). The fake white Kilauea thing was probably overdone, so now it's died down, but the genuine ones are still going as Al says. It's noticeable how many times people do a double take when they see this around town. Maybe there are quite a few people around who would have liked one in 1995, but couldn't afford £900 to buy one.

That's lovely Anthony :cool:
Thats exactly the bike i drooled over but couldn't afford Bitd.

Back