Bike shipping to/from Australia

T'boo Ted

GT Fan
Feedback
View
OK I have a question about shipping... especially TO oz, but also from and within, how do people do it, companies etc.

I recently got me xizang shipped over, and I wanted it quick and no hassles and they guy I bought from was doing me a big favour so the easiest method was best and cost wasnt an issue, so cost liek $600 odd with insurance.
But then I keep hearing of people that got a whole bike sent along with a car and the deathstar in the box all for $150.

So what is the ways you guys do it...

I can't add anything re international shipping. However I've just had my new L.T.S shipped up from Melbourne to Brisvegas using Greyhound for $120 depot to depot, and was pretty happy with the service. I did look into a couple of the cheaper couriers (about $60), but if you want insurance they charge you heaps. ($38 for up to $500. Plus $50 excess). After reading about couple of horror stories, I opted with the more expensive option. It's ridiculous that most freight companys still charge on volume weight, 55kg for a bike box! even though you've told them that it's less than 20kg. I had quotes of $260!

why is it ridiculous freight companies charge volumetric weight? If you have a big empty box, it takes up space they could sell. Therefore they charge for what could be there instead.

I can't help internally, but I would say you need to go to as many couriers, and forwarders as possible, to get the best deal. Often worth going to an agent as they should have better buying power, and even allowing for their slice, can be cheaper. From experience $600 isn't wildly out, if it's from UK - Aus

Don't believe them if they say they got car etc etc for $150. From UK a container will cost about £2000, you can get a car in, along with the rest of your effects though

Of course the big empty box is the other end of the equation, but to be charged at a high rate for a 17kg rectangular box is a bit rough. It would seem that the only reason they ask for the weight is so they could charge you more if it's over their volumetric scale, but it doesn't get any cheaper if it's a bit under. Do they charge more for round packages, as they take up more potential space?
I agree, lots of quotes = the best options. A few years ago, I had a 70cc trail bike shipped to my door from Melbourne for $100! The supplier had organised that one though.

yeah when I bought my zaskar, wiggle had only just that week start international shipping on frames and bikes, cost me $80 or $100... but thats with their bulk shipping power...

What kind of dollars in general to get framesets out here from the USA/UK? Going to hit the international market for a
project frame soon.

shogun":1ssify7p said:
What kind of dollars in general to get framesets out here from the USA/UK? Going to hit the international market for a
project frame soon.

If its full suspension get the rear end unbolted and packed into the dead space of the box. I've had a number of FS frames sent from the states for the $70-90 mark.

There are several online calculators you can use to get a good idea of cost if you work with a few dimensions, and you can help the seller too by taking some of the leg work out of it too.

I sent a pair of wheels to Tasmania(Chris King/Bontrager race lites) was it :? at a cost of £80 Royal mail international recorded. I picked this service purely because its such a big well known and i would think well run company and that you get a signature at the other end.

As they charge for volume the space the bike itself doesnt occupy you get charged for also so you either pack it really tight in a small box and hope it doesnt get bashed around or go for the bigger well padded box and pay a premium for the lost space. I was advised to cover the entire box with sticky tape as to make it reasonably waterproof. Apparently it can rain quite heavily down your neck of the woods and i was instructed on tales of boxes disintegrating on the runway/yard. :shock:

There is a good bike box maker i found in a general surf and it looks a great idea,very well thought out .The box is triangular in shape so you leave the bars on and remove the front wheel,some other bits all of which have built in compartments for them
Unfortunately ive lost the link but ill have a look see :?

Back