Clever Neighbour Eh?

I would've gone round by now and asked when he was going to own up to reversing over my bike, and if he said it wasn't him I would calmly tell him that I watched him do it from the kitchen window and was waiting for him to own up but that chance has gone seeing as he hasn't been forthcoming with the truth and its now pay up or face further consequences!

Many years ago I reversed off my drive into a neighbours car that they had very kindly parked on the road directly opposite my drive, why they parked it there I'll never know as they have a perfectly good drive of their own, but I knocked the door and owned up straight away. I did end up having to pay for a re spray on the bumper but they haven't parked it anywhere other than on their drive since and more importantly my conscience is clear and we are all still talking to each other.

Your neighbour probably took a quick look at it, and decided that it looked OK, therefore it must be.

Perhaps you should just go round, and politely explain that you saw him reverse into your bike and drive off. If he's got any hint of decency, he'll own up and apologise.

And then you can hit him with the damage ;)

Oh, and if you have a phone capable of doing so, record the conversation (just stick the phone in your pocket)..

unfortunately not admissable as evidence unless you ask his permission before you do so. rubbish, but I'm fairly certain that's how it is.

I like the idea of hitting him with the damage, figuratively and literally.

He got out to see what he'd done and then drove off...I watched him from my kitchen window. Still waiting for him to own up to it and say something to me!!!

I must admit I do not understand this...what are you waiting for?

What is your motivation for not talking to him straight away...the longer you leave it the longer it could be construed that the damage was caused in another way at another time and that you are now 'pinning' the damage on an earlier event (if that makes sense)

There's no law preventing a private individual recording a face to face conversation and submitting it in evidence.

There are laws preventing such recordings being made of conversations over a public telecommunications network.

I think the bollock has been well and truly dropped with this one - confront hem now and they'll say you've had ample opportunity to make it up. By rushing out and doing it immediately you are able to place suspect and vehicle at the scene with the main exhibit still laying here squashed. Again, of you couldn't agree it'd be for a civil court to decide, but they're going to want to know for what purpose you fannied around and deliberately weakened the continuity of events and evidence.

BobCatMax":3a8dobau said:
what Andy said, I'd be f'in hoppin'!! inside anyway, outside I'd be the very picture of calm...honest.

I respectfully request that this is updated once you've collared him about it

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy/support guys!

Just some further info for everybody regarding the legal angle...this happened on my land...he has access across my courtyard to his garage. My bikes were a good 10 metres away from his garage door next to my car...they were laid down of their sides on a huge piece of cardboard to protect them. Surely he must have peered out when he opened his garage door!!! Careless at best. Pretty piss poor that he hadn't had the balls to at least come and say sorry/come clean there and then or later in the day.

Anyway, just popped round his place...he wasn't home but his partner was. She said that he'd not mentioned it to her...surprise surprise! Anyway, I said I was disappointed that he didn't have the decency to come and see me by now and that I expect see him soon.

I'll be back on Monday with an update for everyone...hopefully he'll be a little sheepish and happy to cover the repairs.

I'm guessing that he'll be trying to avoid you for the forseeable future ;)

Reminds me of when I moved my car out of the way of the garage so that my (now-ex) father in law could reverse his car out. I'm sat in my car and watch dumbfounded as he proceeds to reverse into my car :shock: Then he gets out, walks to the back of his car for a look, licks his hand and rubs the scratches on his bumper and then gets back in and drives off! I was incredulous!
When asked about it he said he didn't realise he'd bumped my car :roll: he obviously hadn't realised I was sat in the damn thing at the time! Eventually he paid up for repairs to my car, although to this day he still denies he ran into my car :facepalm:

jimo746":w6hq17vd said:
I'm guessing that he'll be trying to avoid you for the forseeable future ;)

Reminds me of when I moved my car out of the way of the garage so that my (now-ex) father in law could reverse his car out. I'm sat in my car and watch dumbfounded as he proceeds to reverse into my car :shock: Then he gets out, walks to the back of his car for a look, licks his hand and rubs the scratches on his bumper and then gets back in and drives off! I was incredulous!
When asked about it he said he didn't realise he'd bumped my car :roll: he obviously hadn't realised I was sat in the damn thing at the time! Eventually he paid up for repairs to my car, although to this day he still denies he ran into my car :facepalm:

I'm sorry but that's quality! Some people have no conscience. If I had the time I'd tell you about a garage who was meant to be repairing my car...in a nutshell, they disconnected the odometer, used it for personal use and pranged it twice. Icing on the cake was when I turned up early one morning unannounced at the garage to find that my car was at the mechanic's home address. Cost me £26,000 to repair...he wasn't in business 12 months later.

Back