1996 GT Xizang

Oh dear!
Well what a morning, torrential rain and stupid me.

So now I have some anti seize and a (hopefully) the right BB, figured I';d do that this morning.
After the trails and tribulations of the BB I was relieved to find the BB not siezed (ha) or stuck... it came out easy...for about 3 turns then stuck fast.
Even all my might on the super long wrench wasn't budging it... I freaked out thinking oh no i've broken it, its ruined, gunna have to sell it or hang it on the wall or something...
Until I relaised in my efforts to be super cool and smart and save some time and effort (always a bad thing), if you want to change the BB, you need to take off BOTH crank arms, no matter how much it seems you don't...
Ugh

I was going to cut the steerer and install the star nut in the new forks myself...now I think maybe I won't do that...

Bike stuff is always an adventure. :cool:

Sometimes it turns into a horror movie ... Everyone watching is screaming "Nooooo Don't Do That!!!" :shock: But the main character doesn't listen.
:facepalm:
Sounds like you heard the audience :D

T'boo Ted":32q688nr said:
Oh dear!

After the trails and tribulations of the BB I was relieved to find the BB not siezed (ha) or stuck... it came out easy...for about 3 turns then stuck fast.
Even all my might on the super long wrench wasn't budging it... I freaked out thinking oh no i've broken it, its ruined, gunna have to sell it or hang it on the wall or something...

Until I relaised in my efforts to be super cool and smart and save some time and effort (always a bad thing), if you want to change the BB, you need to take off BOTH crank arms, no matter how much it seems you don't...
Ugh

I was going to cut the steerer and install the star nut in the new forks myself...now I think maybe I won't do that...

Spectacular, I would have looked around me to make sure no-one was around & never mentioned it to another soul!

SFN are easily installed IF you're skilled with a hammer, you know the old saying, the simplest tools are the hardest to use. Put the bolt in the SFN, SFN in the steerer, lump hammer, really only try this if you know you can hit it hard and square.

ha yeah well...
I watched a couple of youtubes on how to do it, more worried about cutting the steerer... but figure I can cut it long in case I muck it up, have heaps of spacers :)

So today i took it for the first ride (that wasn't down the drive and back). While it hasn't turned out to be the build I was actually thinking it is fine to take out for a ride. It is mostly 770 XT that is a bit clapped out...so that will have to change hopefully sooner than later... and these steel smoke classics will have to be changed for something kevlar (have kevlar smokes and a few of the first flight z maxes to pick from)...

SO took it out on a trail that I knew that was a bit technical but not overly hard in case it was a bucket of crap... Must say it was wonderfull, needs some fine tuning, have to get a seatpin with less layback and some rear mech adjustment (or replacing, not sure if my crap building skills or not).
Felt immediately home on it, was like my old DB Axis only smoother in the rear, handled brilliantly and felt much more at home and nimble going throught twisties that either my ARC onb Zaskar reissue...

Happy, after the issue I had, finding, BB, forks, I was thinking thios was going to be a big let down to ride. It isn't, its sweet!

Back