More cyclist vs. motorist stuff

JamesM":3ufdv5dq said:
Ironic isnt it that if us cyclists had to undergo training and testing before we were allowed on then roads, as many motorists think we should, then we'd all end up riding at least 2 foot out from the white line at the side of the road.

Indeed! That's how we were taught as kids, but if you actually do it... angry drivers everywhere. I remember we had a lesson about traffic at primary school and when I got on my bike back home I did this. First time and last time too.
We don't need more regulation if you ask me, we need more common sense!

Bram J":1meb6ssm said:

What we need is capital punishment for major infractions (excessive speeding, drunk driving, running a red light, etc).
No need for a court, if the cops caught you breaking the law you're guilty, it's that simple. The cops here carry guns anyway, so the sentence can be carried out immediately.
And if people demand a fair trial, we could always train the cops to become judges. Street Judges, if you will.

:p

Raging_Bulls":336rxvc7 said:
Bram J":336rxvc7 said:

What we need is capital punishment for major infractions (excessive speeding, drunk driving, running a red light, etc).
No need for a court, if the cops caught you breaking the law you're guilty, it's that simple. The cops here carry guns anyway, so the sentence can be carried out immediately.
And if people demand a fair trial, we could always train the cops to become judges. Street Judges, if you will.

:p

Now we're talking! Great ideas!

I drive and cycle, one thing I have come to the conclusion is learner drivers NEED to be put on a bicycle training course before they get a license.

joe careless":3ddnzmgv said:
I drive and cycle, one thing I have come to the conclusion is learner drivers NEED to be put on a bicycle training course before they get a license.

it's not just new learners that need to be put on a cycle course, with the exception of no more than a handful of incidents, all my near misses, and in one case where the guy knocked me off and drove off, have all been people who i assume have held a license for at least 15 years? it's not just the mindset of "the road belongs to cars" it's also that a lot of people, once they jump in that metal box on wheels, get far too complacent and don't think about "what if i do have an accident" and are too willing to take risks, eg nip out in front of a car or cyclist to get down the sidestreet rather than wait an extra 5 seconds til it has passed. i use this as an example because for me it's the most common cause for me having to slam on the anchors, the secondmost being people not using indicators and mirrors, turning left and me ploughing into the wing of the car/taxi/van, then being given abuse for not watching where im going
i ride only 2 miles to work on a busy'ish road between 9:30am-10am 6 days a week, and i could guarantee that i'd have a close call at least 4 times a week. i know i'm probably going to get "well YOU must of been doing something wrong", but i did it all by the book because i knew if i did have a collision and i wasnt "legit" as it were, eg lights, hi viz etc, i wouldn't have a leg to stand on. i actually found that i felt safer riding my 35-50 mile training loop on the country lanes than the 2 mile to work.

dav101":22kkd4hk said:
joe careless":22kkd4hk said:

it's not just new learners that need to be put on a cycle course, with the exception of no more than a handful of incidents, all my near misses, and in one case where the guy knocked me off and drove off, have all been people who i assume have held a license for at least 15 years? it's not just the mindset of "the road belongs to cars" it's also that a lot of people, once they jump in that metal box on wheels, get far too complacent and don't think about "what if i do have an accident" and are too willing to take risks, eg nip out in front of a car or cyclist to get down the sidestreet rather than wait an extra 5 seconds til it has passed. i use this as an example because for me it's the most common cause for me having to slam on the anchors, the secondmost being people not using indicators and mirrors, turning left and me ploughing into the wing of the car/taxi/van, then being given abuse for not watching where im going
i ride only 2 miles to work on a busy'ish road between 9:30am-10am 6 days a week, and i could guarantee that i'd have a close call at least 4 times a week. i know i'm probably going to get "well YOU must of been doing something wrong", but i did it all by the book because i knew if i did have a collision and i wasnt "legit" as it were, eg lights, hi viz etc, i wouldn't have a leg to stand on. i actually found that i felt safer riding my 35-50 mile training loop on the country lanes than the 2 mile to work.
Absolutely the older driver is much worse than the new driver, but you've got to get them early when teaching them.

i've got out my car and argued with cyclists, after being given the finger and even had my car kicked by cyclists on my single lane drive to work. and tried to explain that thier behaviour makes me look bad when i'm riding, because it is so easy to lump all cyclists together! i drive fast cars, but am also a cyclist, and my mrs was nearly killed on her horse on the same stretch of road (her horse was killed)!
where has common sence gone? if you can't see round the bend/over the crest, slow down!!

Back