Sturmey Archer AW 3SP Hub - Only Two Gears

iamrcb

Dirt Disciple
Firstly, I'm not sure if this post is in the right place.

I've stripped down and fully cleaned a Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub (1990). Its in a good condition, nothing looks 'worn'. I've replaced the pawl springs and the bearings. I've greased the bearings and re-oiled the lot. The shifter cable (inner and outer) is new and the twist grip shifter works well.

When fitted, I can only get two gears to engage, even with the adjuster indicator chain separated from the shifter cable, as to rule out any adjustment problems.

Following extensive indicator chain/spindle the two gears work well, shifting reliably with out slipping at any point.

There is no third gear to be found, at any position of the indicator spindle.

Can anyone suggest a cause or something that needs further adjustment?

Thanks

iamrcb":1vunpowz said:
Firstly, I'm not sure if this post is in the right place.

I've stripped down and fully cleaned a Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub (1990). Its in a good condition, nothing looks 'worn'. I've replaced the pawl springs and the bearings. I've greased the bearings and re-oiled the lot. The shifter cable (inner and outer) is new and the twist grip shifter works well.

When fitted, I can only get two gears to engage, even with the adjuster indicator chain separated from the shifter cable, as to rule out any adjustment problems.

Following extensive indicator chain/spindle the two gears work well, shifting reliably with out slipping at any point.

There is no third gear to be found, at any position of the indicator spindle.

Can anyone suggest a cause or something that needs further adjustment?

Thanks

Hi

Was there 3 gears engaging before you stripped this down or is this a hub you haven't used before. I know you have said that even without the linkage attached, you can't seem to get 3 gears, but what method of initial setup are you using?

With the trigger/grip set to gear 2, you should adjust the toggle chain linkage so that the shoulder of the main shaft of the toggle chain is in line with the edge of the hub axle when viewed through the hold in the axle nut.

What guide did you use when stripping the hub - does the guide you have used show that you have all internal/external parts in the correct order?

Cheers
Neil

I've rebuilt the whole hub again and can still only find 2 gears.

I suspect that the indicator spindle is either not coming out of the end of the axle as far as it should or not retracting back in far enough. It feels like there's another gear to go beyond what I can find now.

How do I identify second gear, to help me determine which gear I'm missing? Do I have 2+3 or do I have 1+2?

Stripped and checked everything again and I can still only get two gears.

If I can be confident that there's no slippage when riding then I'll have to leave this project as it is. It's still a vast improvement on when I bought it for 44 quid and is another interesting ride.

There is a thread here from Tel who had probs similar to this i think - have a look for it - there may be info there. If i find it i will edit here.

Edited link - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=246805

might help, maybe not.

Richard

3rd gear should be direct drive without the cable attached.
Iam no expert but I use this method when setting up.
Screw the indicator chain in fully to the axle, then 1/4 turn off.
Remove the gear cable from the indicator, put it into 2nd gear on the shifter.
Reconnect the gear cable to the indicator again, so it just attaches, it should be in 3rd gear in the hub, but 2nd on the shifter.
Whilst pedalling the bike (on a workstand or hung from somewhere) turn the gear cable adjuster till it changes up to 2nd gear,
and add an extra 1/2 turn.
Try for 1st and see what you've got.
T.B.H I don't like grip shift mech, ive got 1 but prefer a trigger shifter.
See if that helps
Jim

Here's what I find:

Gear cable removed to rule out shifter or cable problems.

Pedal the bike and pull chain out as far as it goes. The pedals freewheel.

Let it go in by half a chain link and it finds a gear and turns the wheel

Then let the chain in by a link length and it freewheels again

Let it in another half link and it finds another gear.

Then the chain will not go in any more.

So which gear am I missing and would could be preventing the chain to be pulled out more or preventing it retracting in some more?

Or is it missing the middle gear?

The range of the spindle/chain movement, fully in to fully out is 11mm

Back