Numpty tubeless questions...

mattr":366r5aa8 said:
Ahhhhhh, cråp. Bought a pair on sale last autumn, for my training/play bike. Not used them yet (been on studs all winter) Sounds like i'll get plenty of training........ Least there is no way they can be as bad as the highrollers i took off!

Of course, it could well have just been me that was crap.........I make them sound worse than they are, some of it was probably the lack of sprightlyness that the bike I have them on has, compared to what I usually ride.
Although they do feel quite like High Rollers in terms of drag, but plenty of people love those

Andy R":26pd4xi8 said:
Although they do feel quite like High Rollers in terms of drag, but plenty of people love those
:LOL: you're not helping!! High rollers are probably the single solitary (pair?) worst tyre i have ever had the misfortune to use.........

I've just ordered a valve core remover and some sealant from Just Riding Along so am going to see if I can get my current Maxxis tyres to work tubeless. The sealant was cheap enough, so I figured I'll give it a go.

I've got a decent track pump that goes up to 160psi that I had to buy when I got my road bike.

Fingers crossed it works.

mattr":1t7o2nm1 said:
Andy R":1t7o2nm1 said:
:LOL: you're not helping!! High rollers are probably the single solitary (pair?) worst tyre i have ever had the misfortune to use.........

I might give them ago when I get paid then...I really like my High Rollers. They grip so well in the turns. In fact it was only when I tried some different tyres that I realised just how well they grip.

I've ordered a set of the Hans Dampf's. Trailstar for be front and a Pacestar for the rear, so will go fully tubeless when they arrive.

I ordered them from Bike Discount because delivered they were £40 cheaper than getting them from the likes of CRC.

Once I've got them and used them I'll let people know how I find them compared my usual Maxxis tyres.

The Hans Dampf's arrived yesterday and I finally got round to fitting them tonight.

First impressions are that they are massive compared to the Maxxis tyres that they have replaced despite being the same size.

They went on easily enough with just a track pump...I found it worked best popping a tube in first to get one side of the bead seated properly and then pump away like a maniac! The rear tyre went on.easier hasn't be first.

Annoyingly my Easton valves don't have a removable core so once I had done a test run, to add the sealant I had to deflate the tyre, get one tyre lever under the bead to creat a gap big enough to get the applicator. I then squirted the JRA tyre milk in. I put slightly more in the rear. Pumped them back up again and no dramas, no sealant leaking out.

Even with sealant the Hans Dampf's have saved another 359 grams off my wheels. My bike is not a weight weeny job by any means, but its now just over 31lbs. Hopefully they lighter weight wheels and tyres will make it feel more sprightly too.

Looking forward to getting out on it this weekend, so I'll let you know how I get on with the tyres.

Whats the weight difference between tubeless and non tubeless :?
Obviously theres more air in tubeless,does that make a difference :p

Back