Another Marin...

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
...picked this up today...rather excited ;) ....its nice to have a proper retro bike again!.always regretted selling my Kilauea, so I have been on the look out for an early Marin for a while now, then this one popped up!!

The guy I collected it from says he ordered it in 1989, with a £100 deposit, and it arrived in 1990. The serial number is partly obscured by the stays, but it looks like 91...someone may be able to shed some light!!!

It was used for 3 years then put away in a garage for 20 years until today!!!

Everything is original apart from the seat and tyres, still the original brake blocks and chain!!....checked it with a chain gauge, and it still has a few miles in it yet!!

DSC01876_zpsdd7a3390.jpg

DSC01889_zps7598c3a6.jpg

DSC01877_zps4cb40599.jpg

DSC01878_zpsc8124b1f.jpg

DSC01880_zps4c342826.jpg

DSC01881_zpsabe6cd2e.jpg

DSC01883_zps24b7f76a.jpg

DSC01886_zps0b3cdb7a.jpg

DSC01887_zpsee40f387.jpg

Might replace the decals, and the saddle is a definate.....and I need some new amberwallls...any ideas??

One question....were these early Marins actually built in America?

Might need to take this to Mayhem!!

Very nice, there does seem to be a few eldridges squirrelled away in the depths of garages round the country. Is that a touch of peely headtubestickeritus it's suffering from. Zolatone and stickers are not best of friends it would appear.

Grumpy farmer":uy7819a4 said:
Very nice, there does seem to be a few eldridges squirrelled away in the depths of garages round the country. Is that a touch of peely headtubestickeritus it's suffering from. Zolatone and stickers are not best of friends it would appear.

Yes, unfortunately so!!

As soon as Gil_m is up and about again, ill be ordering a full set!!

Ok, they were built in Taiwan?

Nice mate. Looks to be in good nick too.

Yeah seems that they were made in Taiwan. My 91 pine mountain had a sticker on the head tube.

Lovely that... it's definitely a 1990, IMO Marins best year. Components look in good nick too so it'll be cheap and low effort to get it bang on. It would be cool to see it along side mine at MM13 :cool:

Brilliant the Zolatone Marin club is growing in strength! Defo a 1990, thinner seat stays, lighter grey than the 91, and white decals rather than the same colour as the forks. A nice find mate!

Doug

chiswickcollectables":s83v3t4m said:
Lovely that... it's definitely a 1990, IMO Marins best year. Components look in good nick too so it'll be cheap and low effort to get it bang on. It would be cool to see it along side mine at MM13 :cool:

1991 is the best year ;) .
I like these old Marins prefer the Dark Zolatone and the fat stays of 91 but these two years were the best.
Good to see that so many have been looked after and are appearing here.

Carl.

Back