1983 Raleigh Rapide W.I.P. - links for newbies added

March update, this really is taking too long - i have the front wheel disassembled and the hub cleaned and re-greased (thanks Mr Raleigh for the advice). I have the front hub polished and it looks brand new - the pic is a bit blurry as i have the shakes after all the polishing -

IMGP2448_zps4a063781.jpg

IMGP2449_zps2ce9e306.jpg

I am busy sorting out the front rim and once complete i will move to the rear wheel - this is a slow process and it is not helped by other family things, work and more bikes!!!

I have obtained new decals which are on the bike so the wheels are the last bit and she will be done - after what seems ages and is ages!!! Had it not been for my insistence to use the OE wheels this would have been done for Christmas,

Thanks everyone - especially Ian Raleigh for the help,

Richard

This really is an outstanding resto job Richard, when I think back to where it all started it is an amazing transformation. That signature line of yours is getting longer and longer ;)

Tel,

It is a bit odd but this resto has meaning for me personally, so i think i want it right. Mr Raleigh has advised me regarding minor faults, for example, the brake cable angles were slightly off so the cable housing has been bent a few times to get the angles right. And i won't mention the fact that the valves are too long!!!! (new tubes have been bought!) He is a fussy guy - and, i suppose, rightly so!!!

Thanks,

Richard

HA!!!! I have just realised something - the pics of the bike have included the spare wheels with the Campag front hub and helicomatic rear so far!!!! How did i miss that?

The OE wheels are Weinmann rims and Maillard/Spidel hubs (as in the pic above) - i will sort out pics soon. The spare wheels are bound for another bike when they are ready.

Apologies all,

Richard

As mentioned, i had forgotten to provide pics of the OE wheels - i had removed the spokes from the front. Both wheels will be rebuilt with stainless DB spokes as soon as i get the rims and hubs ready for the wheel builder. I have pics of the rear 'before' - it has not been touched. The front hub has been cleaned and rebuilt and the front rim has been polished but it is not finished - it is a work in progress.

Front hub after rebuild and clean -

IMGP2529_zps76ca0bb9.jpg

IMGP2533_zpsb411102e.jpg

IMGP2530_zps9d6ce5af.jpg

Front rim - mid-polish

IMGP2526_zps77614d49.jpg

IMGP2528_zpsb7c186b2.jpg

IMGP2535_zpsb17e6cb3.jpg

Rear wheel - untouched for 23 years (at least) -

IMGP2534_zps77e8bb18.jpg

IMGP2537_zps27bc9b71.jpg

IMGP2523_zps5b37a8dd.jpg

IMGP2521_zps1cdeca55.jpg

IMGP2522_zpsacf13fe1.jpg

Some work required to clean up the rear and a new tube of Autosol.

Top tip for today - TIME is the hardest thing to obtain to get work done.

Thanks all - i am almost done (at last),

Richard

Hey Al-onestare,

I had not seen you about - can you believe i am still at this? Decals and wheels were the delay and, as mentioned, TIME!! Good to see you. Has your Dad used his much?

Richard

Back