Elusive entry level bikes.

Well, there weren't no such animal as 'Mountain Bikes' when I were a lad so I used to drool over the Raleigh Record Sprint in the window of the LBS next t' newsagents in Sprowston where I did me paper round...

...which was later replaced with a Peugeot team bike, then a Team Banana Falcon, one of which I 'DO' have now :cool:

BITD I loved the Zoletone Marins.. specifically the lighter shade 1990 range. Also loved the 1991 Trek range (the 8000 in white with biggish alu forks and a bit of splatter paint). Another mid-entry bike I quite liked was the 1990 Dawes Fat Chance... haven't been able to find much info on it tho' :(. It was yellow with 400/500LX groupo.

Back in 1989 I had my sights set on a Specialized Hard Rock Comp. Something about those wide tyres - Hard Pack 2.2 I think they were. In the end I was able to buy the next one up - a Rockhopper, but I almost did buy the Hard Rock Comp and spend the difference on something else.

In a fit of nostalgic enthusiasm I recently typed "1989 Hard Rock" into eBay. After trawling through bloody Kiss and Def Leppard t-shirts and not a Specialized in sight, I feel better now. Will stick to my Cinder Cone instead.

BITD I drooled over a road bike a Revell Romany, I used to walk past the bike shop and wish I could just go in and get it, when I finally got some money I was able to get the Revell down from the Romany it had 531 forks but not the frame, but as it was the best bike I had ever owned I was well chuffed. I did not get my first mountain bike until the early '90s when my sister bought me one for Christmas, it was a Raleigh but I cannot for the life of me remember which one, someone liked it though as they were kind enough to pinch it.

My hubbie had the Muddy Fox Explorer

Alison

The 92 or 93 GT Tequesta. Light blue, mottled paintwork. My mate had one and it was slightly better than my Topanga

Back