Elusive entry level bikes.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I know there have been a lot of threads about high-end/boutique/rare MTBs that we all lust after, but which low-end, everyday Retrobikes have you all been searching for? I'm talking about the Bikes that you saw week in, week out in your LBS, and knew that it was actually achievable!

For me, it was a decent 93 Fire mountain. One finally popped up locally for a song, and I had to have it. It was the bike I drooled over in the LBS (GA Cycles in Southampton) as a youth. My parents finally got me a dodgy Muddy Fox. :facepalm:

It's pretty standard, I just replaced the Saddle, and a set of period (and low-end!) maguras. It's everything I dreamed of as a schoolboy. Love it, Doubt I could ever sell it.

SAM_0325.jpg

I've now got a hankering for an M-trax...

92 Diamond Back Sorrento for me, black with yellow forks. Not a nice bike really but got me to work and back for a year so I've a soft spot and would love another.

Ha GA cycles...that used to be my drool shop of choice infact that is where I bought my 1991 Marin Muirwoods BITD! And bizarrely my mum who was a teacher, used to teach the owner Gary when he was at infant school in the 60's who still owns the shop today! Small world...!

Doug

er...none. Only ever drooled over high end stuff. Well high end meaning the upper end of regular mainstream makers and then the high end style companies.

2 for me.
1987 fisher hookooekoo £525 bitd loved every miniute of riding it, even when i fell off on tottenham court road trying out being a messenger.
1992 (i think) trek 7000zx in the matte mettalic blue. first bike I ever put suspension on and loved that as well. cant remember what it costs though and have never seen another.

Wouldn't mind another Saracen Dirtrax circa 1998, the polished alloy one with chromed forks. Seen a pristine one recently but too small, has to be 22". First decent mtb I ever had and first fat tubed alloy bike. Not in a hurry to find one but would be happy to reaquire someday.

1991 Kona Cinder Cone! The 'golden' one! Could not get it in the Netherlands, because Kona was in a lawsuit with Koga Miyata about their name. The had some K-Mountainbikes, but the Cinder Cone wasn't available when I had the cash. Bought a 1990 Stumpjumper instead. It started there for me.....

Bought a 'golden' Explosif from 1992 years ago, but still want that 'golden' Cinder Cone!

1989 Saracen Tufftrax. Had to look at it in the shop for ages until I'd paid it off and finally got my hands on it :cool:

Attachments

• tufftrax 047.jpg
    tufftrax 047.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 567
I always wanted a Falcon Fat Track..

A friend of mine had one just as I was getting into MTBs and I always remember being ever so slightly jealous of him as I rode around on my 5spd 'Greyhound'..!

He even had Farmer Johns Nephews on his - we thought it was invincible!

Falcon%20FatTrack.jpg

Barneyballbags":2kd7y6ll said:
I always wanted a Falcon Fat Track..

A friend of mine had one just as I was getting into MTBs and I always remember being ever so slightly jealous of him as I rode around on my 5spd 'Greyhound'..!

He even had Farmer Johns Nephews on his - we thought it was invincible!

Falcon%20FatTrack.jpg

I wasn't the least bit embarrased by this BiTD so I fail to see why I should be now! :LOL:

Me with mine...

img008.jpg

img010.jpg

...and it was decent enough to get stolen whilst locked up in Norwich city centre, though the insurance pay out did finance my Scott Montana :cool:

img007.jpg

...which was stolen while my little bro was borrowing it! :evil:

Back