Dumb wheel question...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok I think I already know the answer but need to be sure...I'm looking for a set of wheels to fit a 1991/2 Marin with a 7 speed rear set up...could it take wheels that have an 8/9 speed freehub (with the freehub changed to a 7 speed)...or will they be too wide..

Thanks in advance

Doug

A bit hard to say, I honestly don't remember the spacing on the rear frame for those.

Measure up your frame, for instance, and see if is 135mm. If not, and is steel, it can be re-tracked by a good workshop.
Or if you've 130mm and is an alloy frame, cup&cone hubs (say, Shimano) can fit a 7sp freehub in some models, you need to change (or cut) the axle too; but isn't a big deal, really

I have a M732 7 speed and a M760 9 speed, spindle and cones on the desk.
They are both 135mm and at a glance both have the same bearing heights/thicknesses both sides.
If I wanted to make the 760 wheel 130mm I don't think there would be any problem.
So I cant see it's a problem.
Your not buying the DX wheels and Araya rims on ebay;-)

My 92 frames, Team and PM are both 135mm.

Marin's of that era will have a drop out spacing of 135mm. So any rear hub with a 135mm O.L.D. will fit, be it 6/7/8/9 or 10 speed. As long as every thing else is compatible (cassette, chain, chainset, mech's, etc).

integerspin":10ujrhe8 said:
I have a M732 7 speed and a M760 9 speed, spindle and cones on the desk.
They are both 135mm and at a glance both have the same bearing heights/thicknesses both sides.
If I wanted to make the 760 wheel 130mm I don't think there would be any problem.
So I cant see it's a problem.
Your not buying the DX wheels and Araya rims on ebay;-)

My 92 frames, Team and PM are both 135mm.

After a measure its a 135mm gap between the dropouts...so a hub with an 8 speed freehub measures 135mm too?

Ha not after the DX/Araya wheels as you probably know they are mine I am selling! If only they were black rims I would be keeping them...just don't like silver rims, never have, don't think I ever will!

retroyetirigid":280kpjgq said:
Marin's of that era will have a drop out spacing of 135mm. So any rear hub with a 135mm O.L.D. will fit, be it 6/7/8/9 or 10 speed. As long as every thing else is compatible (cassette, chain, chainset, mech's, etc).

Thanks for that...it is indeed 135mm!

Back