1990 Klein Attitude 22" XL

Re: Big Klein for Big Men... XL Attitude

I just thought; the problem with wife attendance is the high risk of Klein spend realisation.
She may longer believe my Dolomite cost a couple of hundred £..... lol ;)

dazzawazza":79qq18u3 said:
I just thought; the problem with wife attendance is the high risk of Klein spend realisation.
She may longer believe my Dolomite cost a couple of hundred £..... lol ;)
Good call

chiswickcollectables":3danq5j7 said:
Finally finished off my Attitude so I present to you the 'complete' MAN-KLEIN. I've just taken it outside to take a couple of pictures but I'll follow up soon with a full picture and ride report :D

Spec-wise it's exactly how I want it. I was chatting to another Klein nut on Monday (you know who you are Mr. Treacle ;)) and we briefly touched on factory spec. This prompted me to have a look at the 1990 Catalogue to see how close I was off the mark. Apart from one or two things I'm not far off :cool:. It seems I'm particularly lucky with the tyres as Lawrence (previous owner) supplied a NOS set of Ground Controls which I didn't think much of until it was pointed out to me that that's what came on the Attitude as standard.

So the spec:

Frame: Klein Attitude 22” [XL]
Fork: Klein
Stem/Handlebar: Klein MC1
Headset: Klein
Grips: ODI Attack [non-spec]

Brakes F&R: Dia Compe 986
Brake Blocks: Dia Compe
Brake Cables: Shimano XT
Brake Levers: Shimano XT M095

Shifters: Shimano XT M095
Front Mech: Shimano XT M735
Rear Mech: Shimano XT M735
Gear Cables: Shimano XT
Chain: Shimano XT HG90
Cranks: Shimano XT M730
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Bottom Bracket: Klein
Pedals: Shimano XT M735

Rims: Mavic 231 [non-spec]
Front Hub: Shimano XT M730
Rear Hub: Shimano XT M732 135mm
Cassette: Shimano XT HG90
F&R QR: Shimano XT
Front Tyre: Specialized Ground Control
Rear Tyre: Specialized Ground Control
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Avocet Gelflex M30
Seatpost: Shimano XT M730
QR: Shimano XT

Bottlecage: Avocet

DSCN3382_zps3d3924d5.jpg

DSCN3385_zps382fbbab.jpg

DSCN3383_zps88c06969.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Craig

Why did I sell it! Oh yea, I remember why.:)
Nice job on the build, glad to see it being loved as much as I did.:)
Enjoy,
Lawrence

GearlessinSeattle":1miapltm said:
Why did I sell it! Oh yea, I remember why.:)
Nice job on the build, glad to see it being loved as much as I did.:)
Enjoy,
Lawrence
Don't worry Lawrence I promise to look after it :D

Today I realised a dream. Twenty three years ago I clapped eyes on an Attitude outside a small LBS in Northfield in Birmingham.. the image has never left me. The pink green and white, the massive box fork, the all-in-one stem/handlebar, the striking quality and brilliance; I'd never seen anything like it before :shock:. The year after I saw some Attitudes race at Malvern and ever since I have lusted after one! Since stumbling on this site three years ago the flame has been rekindled. Unfortunately up to now due to my towering 6ft 4 stance I haven't found one large enough to ride. This changed when Lawrence (RB member GearlessinSeattle) decided to sell his 22" Attitude a few weeks ago.

As soon as I saw the sale thread I literally lost all control of my senses.. I showed it to my wife Amy and she said you've got to go for it! It meant selling another bike to fund but that was just a means to an end. After a few emails and patiently waiting (Lawrence might disagree with the patiently bit) THE MASSIVE KLEIN arrived at my local Parcelforce depot. As you can see I completed the obligatory strip down and rebuild, replaced a few bits to suit my liking and tweaked and tuned the gears and brakes to ride perfect.

Today, after 23 years I finally rode my dream bike and oh my funking Klein did it feel good :D :cool: :shock:

The first thought that came to my head was that this bike feels rock solid.. the stiffness was awesome yet not bone crunching. TBH it felt very much like my 1991 Cannondale Beast of the East but with a Klein twist; the twist being that it felt just a little more planted on the floor. It went directly where I pointed it and filled me with total confidence. Obviously I couldn't hammer it as the bike is over two decades old with a fork liable to crack at any moment but I definitely gave it a mild pasting ;). Uphills were a blast! You could feel the bike transferring every bit of my energy into the climb.

Whether this matters or not I didn't feel like a total dick on the Klein! Even though its colours are about as subtle as a party goers at Rio de Janeiro Mardi Gras it still looks good; in fact it looked a whole lot better than some of the stuff I saw knocking about at the park today. Even I, when riding my technically advanced modern bike, feels a bit of a wally :facepalm:. Its a bit like the nu-skool old-skool car thing. Sure things have come a long way in terms of technology, design and materials but IMO there's something about the 'old' that cannot be found in the 'new'. I think the word is class. Just think of a few motors that were made years ago and still are today.. the M3, 911, Range Rover, Mustang... depending on what you're into they're all brilliant but give me their distant relatives any day :cool:

Some phone pictures from the ride... I went fully retro with toe-clips & Axo Pony boots, Cosmic Trail bum bag and Coke sponsored bottle :mrgreen:

IMG_3582_zpsc0fb0385.jpg

IMG_3584_zps450808a5.jpg

IMG_3585_zpsebf86a46.jpg

IMG_3589_zps75f7d37a.jpg

IMG_3593_zps6b794003.jpg

NOS drivetrain :twisted:
IMG_3594_zps7065bdf7.jpg

The Sun came out so naturally I became concerned of potential sun-fade :roll:
IMG_3599_zpse342a9ce.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsa507fe0e.jpg

Arrrrgh my NOS Gelflex (best saddle in the World)
IMG_3605_zps3a89ec7c.jpg

IMG_3609_zpsff206683.jpg

Back in its natural environment.. inside the house :LOL:
IMG_3610_zpsc5975c11.jpg

IMG_3611_zpsdc6254e6.jpg

Thanks for looking (oh yeah and proof ladies and gentlemen that Kleins do get dirty!)

Craig

Re: Big Klein for Big Men... First Outing (With Pics)

well done glad the ride was as good as you hoped !!

Re: Big Klein for Big Men... First Outing (With Pics)

If mines done i may try to make it (its soooo far) & mines will have lots of horrible 3dv on It! :?

F&f

chiswickcollectables":15q1drks said:
Today I realised a dream. Twenty three years ago I clapped eyes on an Attitude outside a small LBS in Northfield in Birmingham.. the image has never left me. The pink green and white, the massive box fork, the all-in-one stem/handlebar, the striking quality and brilliance; I'd never seen anything like it before :shock:. The year after I saw some Attitudes race at Malvern and ever since I have lusted after one! Since stumbling on this site three years ago the flame has been rekindled. Unfortunately up to now due to my towering 6ft 4 stance I haven't found one large enough to ride. This changed when Lawrence (RB member GearlessinSeattle) decided to sell his 22" Attitude a few weeks ago.

As soon as I saw the sale thread I literally lost all control of my senses.. I showed it to my wife Amy and she said you've got to go for it! It meant selling another bike to fund but that was just a means to an end. After a few emails and patiently waiting (Lawrence might disagree with the patiently bit) THE MASSIVE KLEIN arrived at my local Parcelforce depot. As you can see I completed the obligatory strip down and rebuild, replaced a few bits to suit my liking and tweaked and tuned the gears and brakes to ride perfect.

Today, after 23 years I finally rode my dream bike and oh my funking Klein did it feel good :D :cool: :shock:

The first thought that came to my head was that this bike feels rock solid.. the stiffness was awesome yet not bone crunching. TBH it felt very much like my 1991 Cannondale Beast of the East but with a Klein twist; the twist being that it felt just a little more planted on the floor. It went directly where I pointed it and filled me with total confidence. Obviously I couldn't hammer it as the bike is over two decades old with a fork liable to crack at any moment but I definitely gave it a mild pasting ;). Uphills were a blast! You could feel the bike transferring every bit of my energy into the climb.

Whether this matters or not I didn't feel like a total dick on the Klein! Even though its colours are about as subtle as a party goers at Rio de Janeiro Mardi Gras it still looks good; in fact it looked a whole lot better than some of the stuff I saw knocking about at the park today. Even I, when riding my technically advanced modern bike, feels a bit of a wally :facepalm:. Its a bit like the nu-skool old-skool car thing. Sure things have come a long way in terms of technology, design and materials but IMO there's something about the 'new' that cannot be found in the 'old'. I think the word is class. Just think of a few motors that were made years ago and still are today.. the M3, 911, Range Rover, Mustang... depending on what you're into they're all brilliant but give me their distant relatives any day :cool:

Some phone pictures from the ride... I went fully retro with toe-clips & Axo Pony boots, Cosmic Trail bum bag and Coke sponsored bottle :mrgreen:

IMG_3582_zpsc0fb0385.jpg

IMG_3584_zps450808a5.jpg

IMG_3585_zpsebf86a46.jpg

IMG_3589_zps75f7d37a.jpg

IMG_3593_zps6b794003.jpg

NOS drivetrain :twisted:
IMG_3594_zps7065bdf7.jpg

The Sun came out so naturally I became concerned of potential sun-fade :roll:
IMG_3599_zpse342a9ce.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsa507fe0e.jpg

Arrrrgh my NOS Gelflex (best saddle in the World)
IMG_3605_zps3a89ec7c.jpg

IMG_3609_zpsff206683.jpg

Back in its natural environment.. inside the house :LOL:
IMG_3610_zpsc5975c11.jpg

IMG_3611_zpsdc6254e6.jpg

Thanks for looking (oh yeah and proof ladies and gentlemen that Kleins do get dirty!)

Craig

That is Klein abuse. I love it!

chiswickcollectables":1mla9r5t said:

Whether this matters or not I didn't feel like a total dick on the Klein! Even though its colours are about as subtle as a party goers at Rio de Janeiro Mardi Gras it still looks good; in fact it looked a whole lot better than some of the stuff I saw knocking about at the park today. Even I, when riding my technically advanced modern bike, feels a bit of a wally :facepalm:. Its a bit like the nu-skool old-skool car thing. Sure things have come a long way in terms of technology, design and materials but IMO there's something about the 'new' that cannot be found in the 'old'. I think the word is class. Just think of a few motors that were made years ago and still are today.. the M3, 911, Range Rover, Mustang... depending on what you're into they're all brilliant but give me their distant relatives any day :cool:

Craig

You Sir, are my new hero. Great work on the build...and even more credit for getting it dirty! Congrats. This is my kind of resto thread. :cool:

Back