Raleigh Team 531 Lightweight - Arrived with pics

Turbo saddle has arrived and I have sourced some retro Wellgo (avoiding Shimano on this one) pedals now too, so if the weather is OK this weekend I'll take it for a ride and test the handling and comfort. If it passes the test for both the stem and bars will get painted otherwise it will be back to the drawing board.

Carl.

elPedro666":205kn3qw said:
Initially I was in agreement on blue stem (I like matching forks/stem), but looking at the pics earlier in this thread I'm converted to yellow stem/blue bars for the overall balance on the bike :cool:
Part of my thinking was alternating the colour side-steps the issue of getting a perfect match on the yellow... Plus a bright yellow stem screams 80s when the style of the bike is now circa 1992/3 ;)

Hi- I'm fairly new on here, though it feels like home already.
Anyway, I've got one of these! I bought it new late 80s/early 90s, cant remember which. It got a bit bent by a car, and I stripped it for parts to build my next bike (on a dave russel frame, which I also still have..)
Anyway, I managed to straighten it out many years later, and as I didn't think it was particularly special I built it into an electric bike (I like to build things..) as it still currently is.
However, on reading this I think it's time to go through my boxes of bits to see if I sill have all the bits, and put it back as it was. I think there's a good chance I still have everything as I've always been a bit of a hoarder. Does anyone know if I can get the stickers? I stupidly decided to take all of them off..

Hi again, Gil_m is the sticker guru on here and as long as there is something to make a template from he can usually make repros. His will be laser cut vinyl that will look original but wont be as durable as the screen printed Raleigh ones unless you lacquer over them, which you could do.

Carl.

After a fruitful search in the barn I have located nearly all of it! xcd 6000 gears, wheels, seat, pedals, bars and stem, cranks, levers, even one original and rather cracked tyre. Just missing one set of canti's. and the stickers. And probably a few little bits. Have even found the original light grey cables. I've got a few boxes to go through yet so am hopeful for finding the rest..
Please don't be too jealous..

Cantis come up from time to time so not a big deal and you can always go for the XC SE setup from SJS Cycles for £30 (that's what I'm running). What were the Original Tyres, were they Timbuk II's?
Happy with mine, I did contemplate a NOS XCD6000 setup from the US, but I already had the better XC Comp parts so decided to go with those as a compromise between originality and cost.

Carl.

Full Raleigh Team article from 1989. In the pic that Sinnerman posted you can see a 753 sticker on the seat tube - that frame would be some find!

MBUKV3I57_zps0a204e6b.jpeg

MBUKV3I58_zps39ee3dab.jpeg

MBUKV3I59_zps45f087b3.jpeg

MBUKV3I510_zps9ac5b987.jpeg

MBUKV3I511_zps8b1fbecb.jpeg

So here it is with what I feel is the right stem (120mm T-bone) painted to match and bars painted too, although the finish in these didn't work out and it got damaged when I tightened the stem clamp so may not be staying. I have taken it out briefly and it feels really nice and comfortable. I intend to ride it to and from work on my offroad commute in the coming weeks through the summer. As for it not being 753 and a real team issue, well I'm not really fussed this is probably nearly as rare and it was the bike I have wanted since I was 14.

Frame: Raleigh, Reynolds 531 Lightweight Tubeset, Handbuilt by RSP in Nottingham England.

Fork: Raleigh 531 Unicrown

Headset: Ritchey Logic
Stem: Tioga T-Bone Internal Roller
Handlebar: Tioga Alloy
Grips: Ritchey WCS Ergo Foam

Brakes: Suntour XC-Comp (SE or Rear)
Brake Pads: Suntour
Brake Cables: Clarks
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-Comp
Brake Levers: Suntour XC-Comp

Shifters: Suntour XC-Comp
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC-Comp