Tyre's won't fit on rim

I've had a very similar problem. I try to avoid levers to get tyres on, but some brands are very tight and nearly break your thumbs! A bit of fairy liquid in water rubbed around the rim and bead of the tyre will help. One thing to remember though, if they are hard to get on, they are just as hard to get off. As I found out after getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere. I had a new set of 3 plastic levers with me and broke them all :facepalm:

has anyone produced a list of tyre /rim combinations that are best avoided?

would have saved me calling the Mrs out on boxing day when I punctured and also broke 3 tyre levers...

I'd like to add one combo to the list: Continental Gran Prix tires on Mavic MA-40s. My neighbor's ears are still burning from the conflagration of profanity.

I had some problems with Schwalbe on Wolber Alpine rims and was advised to hang weights on them overnight to stretch them a bit - this might help.

I would be interested to know if anyone has that combination - as i doubt it!!!

Richard

otherself":23qc0pmg said:
I have a pair of 700c Rigida Chirina rims built up and I can't get the wire bead tyres to fit on. It seems these rims are a problem: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPS ... ic=61970.0

Any ideas on how to get it on? Should I try a folding tyre?

I built up a pair of Chrina's last year (chosen on price & spec). I was also miffed to discover that my favourite tyres - Vittoria's would not fit without recourse to violence :evil: . Obviously no good like this , certainly not when by the side of the road with freezing hands!
I happened to have a rigid 700 x 23 Deda Tre Grinta tyre to hand and tried this and it fitted easily. So a pair of these went on. Not even sure if Rigida are still trading? Whatever I won't be buying anymore of these. As I have a few bikes I don't plan on wearing these rims out anytime soon so would be glad if anyone knows of other tyres which fit the later version of this rim (which is allegedly a different size to earlier versions).

Ippikin":1wqsdyrr said:
otherself":1wqsdyrr said:
I have a pair of 700c Rigida Chirina rims built up and I can't get the wire bead tyres to fit on. It seems these rims are a problem: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPS ... ic=61970.0

I built up a pair of Chrina's last year (chosen on price & spec). I was also miffed to discover that my favourite tyres - Vittoria's would not fit without recourse to violence :evil: . Obviously no good like this , certainly not when by the side of the road with freezing hands!
I happened to have a rigid 700 x 23 Deda Tre Grinta tyre to hand and tried this and it fitted easily. So a pair of these went on. Not even sure if Rigida are still trading? Whatever I won't be buying anymore of these. As I have a few bikes I don't plan on wearing these rims out anytime soon so would be glad if anyone knows of other tyres which fit the later version of this rim (which is allegedly a different size to earlier versions).

Rigida now go under the name of 'Ryde' I believe.

I bought the Chrina's because they were the cheapest double-eyeleted box section rim available at 17 quid.

The best rims are by DRC of Italy in my opinion.

otherself":rjw09guo said:
Ippikin":rjw09guo said:
otherself":rjw09guo said:

Rigida now go under the name of 'Ryde' I believe.

I bought the Chrina's because they were the cheapest double-eyeleted box section rim available at 17 quid.

The best rims are by DRC of Italy in my opinion.

So they have been taken over!
Agreed the Chrinas are great value & nicely made (I got the black finish which looks great)
Not just a Rigida problem. I built some DT RR465 rims up for no. 1 bike. Very nice rims but just like the Chrinas regarding tyre fit!
Got some single eyeleted Mavic Open Sports on my winter fixed - absolutely no probs with these and they are not fussy about tyres either.

MA2 are on my list. The surprise of how easy the tyres went on and off when I got a set of Open 4 CDs compared to the MA2s stays with me even now.

Back