Who's got a 29'er?

Just bought my third 29er today! A Salsa Horsethief to go with the Scandal. :D

29 wheel never going to be as strong as a comparitive 26 wheel and besides that there are so many other factors that people need to consider if they want to go quicker...loosing body weight being one of them and of course, good tyre choice!

I imagine people will buy into the 29er thing thinking it's going to make them instantly quick and a better rider overnight.....just what the bike industry wants :)

Neil G":4j2t3xku said:
29 wheel never going to be as strong as a comparitive 26 wheel and besides that there are so many other factors that people need to consider if they want to go quicker...loosing body weight being one of them and of course, good tyre choice!

I imagine people will buy into the 29er thing thinking it's going to make them instantly quick and a better rider overnight.....just what the bike industry wants :)

We have had your 'anti' opinions on other 29er threads before Neil. I can fully accept that some people do not want to change to 29ers, feel no need to change to 29ers, or have tried them and don't like them. That's cool. No problemo.

But please accept that some people, myself included, have ridden these big wheeled bikes and find them better than smaller wheeled bikes. And the implication that we are all just weak willed sheep beholden to the bike industry is insulting to us.

Neil G":ajgme6bi said:

Great think there. Want to buy my collection of 26 stuff? I built up a Fisher Wahoo for my wife because she falls over a lot., yes the entry level al wahoo, put a rigid fork and XT stuff I had laying around and she loves it, it's a Cadillac and is faster than my Sugar FS through the tight stuff even with less aggressive tires. The Sugar as set up is a frickkin sports car through the tight twisties. Like I said almost all my 26 stuff is for sale, I drank the cool-aid and I'm game. Bought a Raleigh XXIX G frame to build.

firedfromthecircus":3aqxgszt said:
Neil G":3aqxgszt said:

We have had your 'anti' opinions on other 29er threads before Neil. I can fully accept that some people do not want to change to 29ers, feel no need to change to 29ers, or have tried them and don't like them. That's cool. No problemo.

But please accept that some people, myself included, have ridden these big wheeled bikes and find them better than smaller wheeled bikes. And the implication that we are all just weak willed sheep beholden to the bike industry is insulting to us.

I've never been that militant about 29ers, I think I've just stated an obvious point r.e weight loss/fitness which also applies to 26 wheeled bikes and road bikes.

I didn't mean to insult anyone with reference to the MTB industry but you have to admit that it's become a rich, older persons sport these days and these are the folk that are driving it to some extent.

Neil G":qwrtjn4b said:
I've never been that militant about 29ers, I think I've just stated an obvious point r.e weight loss/fitness which also applies to 26 wheeled bikes and road bikes.

I didn't mean to insult anyone with reference to the MTB industry but you have to admit that it's become a rich, older persons sport these days and these are the folk that are driving it to some extent.

I wouldn't have necessarily said militant, but you have certainly come across in this thread and others on the same subject as 'definitely not in favour of'. :LOL:

I agree that the sport does have a lot of rich old men participating these days, but a lot of them are still on expensive 26" wheeled carbon full sussers.
The cheap 29ers are now almost as cheap as the cheap 26ers and full carbon will be expensive no matter the wheel size. Both the 29er that I am riding just now, and the one I am building cost less than I paid for my Stumpy 16 years ago!

As I said, vive le difference. Just credit us big wheelers with some integrity. ;)

My current work bike is a 29er, a Carve HT. I never rode a full squidge 29 that worked as well as its 26er equivalent but I'm starting to dig the Carve, seems to make more sense as an HT.

There's definitely a higher minimum price threshold to get a good performing 29. Cheap ones with huge flexi timeshare actually a little disconcerting off road.

Seen a nice rigid singlespeed Genesis 29 I might treat myself to.

My other work bike is a 26, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27, and I commute on a road bike with 700c so I'm used to swapping between different bikes and different sized wheels, so maybe this is why the Earth didn't shake for me on my first 29er ride all those years ago.

firedfromthecircus":3agpx7yg said:
I agree that the sport does have a lot of rich old men participating these days, but a lot of them are still on expensive 26" wheeled carbon full sussers.
Whereas poor and really old men like me have to put up with crappy rigid steel singlespeeds - I can't even afford two wheels the same size...... :(

Back