How important is ti prep?

T'boo Ted

GT Fan
Feedback
View
OK, so how important is ti prep or some anti seize lub for ti frames?
I do plan on getting/using some, but have to order it in as nobody here has heard of it.

Bike is mostly together, and will eb swapping out for better (as in not lying about in the spare parts box) in the next few days, but will problems start arizing straight away or in a bit of time or is it a more that part hasn't moved in x years and is now good and stuck.

I have had seatpoles stuck in steel frames before andthe BB is good and stuck in my donor frame, that one hasn't been out since '04, and of course the evil stuck BB that came with the frame I guess hadn't been out sinc e'96.

Iguess short question, is it a long term thing, needs done asap, or don't put it together with or you'll be sorry?

do it now!!!!!!!

when ti bonds with other metals its a nightmare..much worse than steel and alloys..

Depends on what you've screwed into it. Some things will be an utter pain to get out. Some you might have to break. Or leave there forever.

And it starts immediately, due to the internal structure of the various metals you've screwed together, and will get worse over time and use (again, depending on what you've screwed in!)

And Ti Prep is generally just copperslip in a tube made of fairy wings, angel tears and ground unicorn horn. That's the only way they can justiify the mark up!!
A trip to your local auto parts supplier should get you a tub big enough to last you until the sun burns out for not a huge amount. I swiped one out of the bin at a holiday job about 20 odd years ago. I was still using it until our last house move. But the tub had got so brittle it disintegrated!
I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later.

From Wiki;

Galling is a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together. Galling is cause by a combination of friction and adhesion between the surfaces, followed by slipping and tearing of crystal structure beneath the surface. This will generally leave some material stuck or even friction welded to the adjacent surface, while the galled material may appear gouged with balled-up or torn lumps of material stuck to its surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Learn it, Know it, live it!

A big tub of copper slip will last for decades. I've got a 500g tin of Comma Copper Ease, the size of a syrup tin, that I'm not even sure they make any more, it's easily about 15 years old and is still about a quarter full. It's good stuff and pretty much essential if you're putting titanium bits together, both with other titanium bits and with non-titanium. The price sticker has long since worn off but I think it cost about a fiver from a local car spares shop.

Yeah I have already put it all together a week or so ago, just so I could pedal it around the driveway with the intention of pulling it all apart once I got the rest of the bits together to make it all work properly (proper BB axle length, cables etc) and figured I'd get the lub and do it then.
ut then I went to a bike store and they didnt know what i was on about (maybe should have asked for anti sieze rather than anti gall), so went to the local car parts store and they had a tube of anti sieze, but it wasn't copper, don't know what it was or if it's right...
will go look at more stores tomorrow...
I only meant ti prep as a generic thing as opposed to saying anti gall/anti sieze.
I looked up that the local finish line distributer sells it, so I can order that in, or get some with my next CRC order, will have to see what I can find.

Funny thing is, this bike came with a mega stuck BB (see thread in sig), but the brake studs came out easy as...go figure...I guess that ti/alu vs ti/steel.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back