Ebay stolen bikes and parts *for your info update*

Johnboy":28qx04c2 said:
silverclaws":28qx04c2 said:
Stolen bike parts of which we here creates a market for, perhaps we need to address this issue ?

But how? We create a market for second hand parts, I have no desire to buy stolen goods, my sympathies lie entirely with the guy who had his bike stolen. if I had had any inkling that the forks were stolen I wouldn't have bid for them.

By if we each mak our cherished parts somehow, mine that were on by bike that was stolen, had a pattern of dot punch marks in a outwardly invisible place. That being I can positively identify the parts that were on the bike stolen from me, the more people that mark their own property the less chance thieves will get away with theft. Retro parts are often not immaculate, marks one can get away with in the retro scene and even other scenes. But if anyone comes across M735 XT with a dot punch pattern that resembles the star constellation of scorpio, they be stolen parts, even my first lost ATB the componentry and wheels were marked with the frame number, even my latest attempt has a dot punch scheme, known only to me. If we value our stuff, mark it as our own, as components often do not have serial numbers, so make it identifiable and when thieves get wind of what people have started to do, being in possession of identifiable parts may make the business less rewarding.

Chopper1192":2df2pl87 said:
"Believe" in dibble speak is quite a strong word, much more weight than suspect.

I'd ask what n*ked them believe that, see what they say. If they've just raided the guys flat fans found the stolen frame that goes with them, then even without serial numbers on the forks themselves their case is pretty strong.

You need intent, or mens rea, to he guilty of a handling offence. The fact you handled then doesn't make you guilty - your knowledge, or even reasonable suspicion that they might be half inched is what completes the offence.

If the email is genuine the address will end .pnn.police.uk

Feel free to pm me if you want to bounce more detailed info around.

Chops.

Thanks Chops, I was hoping we might hear from you at some point.

I'm not short of police input though, my next door neighbour has just retired from the force and my daughters best friend is a serving officer.

There has been no suggestion that I'm guilty of handling stolen goods. Apart from the ASBO and restraining orders I have never been in trouble with the police :LOL:

I thought I would give an update on this, just in case any of you have a similar incident.

The police may well contact you via email, Ebay will supply them with your details. There will be a phone number you can contact them on to confirm if you wish. The police officer who contacted me was part of this group - Metropolitan Police Service, Safer Transport Command attached to the 'Cycle Task Force'.
Quote from the email -
"I am currently investigating the sale of pedal cycles through eBay; unfortunately a significant number of pedal cycles sold through this medium are stolen."

You have no come back with Ebay if it's outside the 45 day period since the purchase, stolen property or not. I did get a £25 good will voucher off them.

I still have the forks. The police told me they would be speaking to the owner, be that the guy who's bike was stolen or the insurance company, and would let me know. That was three months ago, I've heard nothing, so I'm guessing I get to keep them.

I've checked on Ebay and the guy I bought them off has had his account closed down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly what happened to our resident police officer, Chopper1192? For a while he was posting on just about every thread, but the day after he posted on this one he made his last post and has been quiet ever since.

Someone called?

I am still about, but due to my good lady having multiple sclerosis demands on my time can be unpredictable - if she has a relapsing period I become a full time carer as well as a full time copper and don't get time to surf the web, read, watch tv or often even sleep uninterrupted.

Fortunately she suddenly entered a period of remission last month and much more self reliant, so I got a bit of time again. For now.

Well it's nice to have you back! I did notice you had started posting again. It's weird that I get a little concerned when regular posters suddenly stop posting.

Sorry to hear about your personal circumstances, it must be very difficult for you.

Back