How to remove MC1 fork from a Klein attitude 1991 ?

Woodyuk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi

Does anyone know how to remove a MC1 fork from a Klein Attitude ?
Did a serch here but did not really find an answer?
I have removed the black plastic headset top... Do I now need a special tool to remove fork ? or is it a hammer job :shock:

Rubber mallet or piece of wood over the top. The fork will drop out and may take the bottom bearing with it. Top will stay in. Take it to your local bike shop to have the bearings removed unless you have some sort of press as its not worth risking damage. For most good bike shops refitting should be okay and just make sure they use the right Loctite. You could probably knock the top bearing out with a bit of plastic pipe the correct size just make sure it is hit squarely once the Loctite is moved it will give easily.

Cheers

Technically you need the special tools or at least a press. Hammer method has a high likelyhood of deforming the top of the fork steerer such that you won't be able to get the MC1 back.

Proceed at your own risk.

More important question is how will you get in back in???

Hi

Thanks for the tips
So the story is a mate of mine got a klein Attitude but the frame is badly cracked . So what we would like to do is remove the forks, stem and Bottom bracket and add them to a new frame so we need to remove and replace the forks on to a new frame.
So the question is should we hammer the fork out or is there another way which might do less damage to the fork?

Attachments

• 2013-03-18_17-58-10_209.jpg
    2013-03-18_17-58-10_209.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 2013-03-18_17-58-16_611.jpg
    2013-03-18_17-58-16_611.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,113
I made from some pieces of wood a press with a threaded rod so i could press the fork out..

Piece of wood on top of the fork, the rod through it, under the frame and above the shoulders of the fork an other piece of wood and the press it out....

I used the same wood to press it in again, be sure to take some hard kind of wood.... If you're familiar with welding you can put some pieces of iron together to make a press.

That's a nasty crack in the frame :?

Yep 1st crack was near the bottom and welded then a second crack on top of rear stay...
Was hoping there would be a tool or a detailed guide to remove these forks.. looks like a press or rubber mallet might be the way forward

Back