1999 Kona Explosif "Dynamite"

Re: Dynamite kona "Trail ready"

magas":2x10m7y9 said:
looks good, better then expected :mrgreen:

good, racy, proportions. I like very much :)

Cheers ... Funny you mention "racy" I will be zip tying a number on in the
Summer to see how many full carbon big wheel pilots I can upset ;)

Tazio":2x10m7y9 said:
Looking good, nice to see you're sticking with your usual radio mast height seat post :D

Maybe why I'm always on cloud 9 when out on one of the fleet :LOL:

Very Very nice mate, I really like the red bars as they add a bit of colour to the bike, have you had the opportunity to go out for a ride yet, what does it feel like?

markwashington":1wivywd6 said:
Very Very nice mate, I really like the red bars as they add a bit of colour to the bike, have you had the opportunity to go out for a ride yet, what does it feel like?

Cheers :D

Not yet.. On brownie point earning duty morn :( Plan is if I get up early enough
To sneak a couple of hours on local trails :D

Looking forward to seeing yours built :cool:

Re: Dynamite kona "Muddy Sunday"

Had a short 90min blast on Sunday.. Needless to say my local trails were a shade mucky.. Trails look good on pics but they were proper manky :shock:

Thought stem may be too low it's perfect .. Nothing fell off the bike and it is a cracker in the twisty stuff..

The frame takes the edge off the rough stuff and is nice and comfy.. Will do a longer 4/5hr jaunt soon :)

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Thumbs up for Reynolds 853 :cool:

Good work mate, nice to see the bike being used in anger! What size seatpost are you using, as I've got different size ones on my other Konas.

markwashington":9c0y9epl said:
Good work mate, nice to see the bike being used in anger! What size seatpost are you using, as I've got different size ones on my other Konas.

Cheers .. These take a 27.0 post.. Had a few headaches with the kona post sizing over the years :roll:

Col :cool:

Tazio":9c0y9epl said:
Plus one":9c0y9epl said:

Mammy,
How I love you, how I love you,
My dear old mammy!

"Your my Explosif now !!!!! "

:cool:

Lovely bike :cool:

I'm also liking the Answer bars- are they standard size or oversize? Can't quite read it on the photo ;)

I too wanted a 99 kona explosif at the time, but didn't have the funds. It was the combination of a grey 853 frame with the red bits which did it for me. 17 months ago, I decided that I had to have a Kona 853 in my life, but settled for a well used blue 98 18" frame in the end. It was far from mint, but I decided to keep it original and not have it resprayed. Most nights I would be searching for Kona bits on Ebay for the build and while searching, I came across an 18" 99 Kona Explosif! Not only was this my dream bike,
but it had only done about 500 dry miles from new! They only non original part was the grips, even the tyres and chain were original. It came with the purchase receipt, all the kona and bomber manuals, the 1999 kona range brochure and an unopened small bottle of kona touch up paint! I decided there and then that I had to buy it whatever the price. It had only been posted on Ebay for an hour when I rang the seller and offered him a low £300 for starters. To my surprise, he accepted as he wanted the money urgently for a holiday. In the end I built up the 98 for use, and have kept the 99 as a garage queen for now. I agree about the modern dosn't mean better statement, as my kona rides far better than my Marin full susser, which now hardly gets ridden.

I like the way youve built yours, it looks nice and don't they ride well on the trail.

Back