Getting rid of rust Part 1 - components

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
OK so I've taken a shine (LOL) to this bike again..........

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146592&hilit=bridgestone

As you can see plenty of rust on derrys/spokes etc but everything actually does work. What's the easiest way to remove such rust or otherwise refurbish the items, barring putting replacement parts on?

:?:

Unfortunately I don't think you'll ever get rid of some of that rust completely, some of it's not just surface rust but has actually penetrated into the metal.
A wire brush (or one on a drill) will clean a lot of it up, followed by Autosol and a big dose of elbow grease, you may be able to remove the brown rust colour but will probably be left with grey pitting (which actually doesn't look as bad as it sounds.
The problem is that in trying to remove the rust you'll probably remove whatever protective coating the steel underneath has left, leaving it more open to rust in the future.

You could try testing a small piece in some of the rust converter stuff that folk use on their classic cars, it's supposed to neutralise the rust, then you can just snad it off or paint over it.
I've heard other cures for surface rust, like leaving parts in a glass of coca-cola overnight...

I'm sure there's plenty of other rust remedies out there, but if it were me I'd try a brush and metal polish first, to see how far that would go.

Try folding aluminium foil so the dull side is on the outside, then dip into a glass of real Coca Cola not diet must be the original coke. Then rub onto rust patches if I can find a link I'll post it.

No worries, used the method on a 1978 Motomag - worked well.

Been a while though so thought I'd put the link up just to make sure. :LOL:

So does this work only on chrome or on bare metal too? I have a painted frame with plenty of paint damage and hence surface rust on the top- and downtube. Not in the mood for a full strip, paint and decal job, so I was thinking about touching it up for now.

Latest posts

Back