Pat Skeates Bike Project

Gracie

Retro Guru
I have uncovered a few frames and bikes in my time but my latest find is a bit of a mystery for me!?!

I have been able to identfy 'Pat Skeates' written on the down tube and other than the fact it has Nervex lugs that is about all I can find out. Even info on the web is scarce.

Does anyone have any information on this builder please?

Thanks

A love a little project, who doesn't now?, and I like things that are not quite run of the mill. This bike is certainly both!

Considering the amount of information on pretty much everything that ever existed online. Why can I not find any more than three references to Pat Skeates, a man who built for Claud Butler & others also building under his own name with his bikes being sold through George Brooks' shop. That's it other than one example listed on ebay and linked on a post on this very forum.

This is my chance to try and add to that meagre online representation of what by reputation and evidence of this bike alone was a fine craftsman.

My plan is to renovate and restore this bike in a period correct manner although with my own choice of colour and design that I will describe as period sympathetic. Probably will treat it to a bit of Mercian enamel love unless you guys have any other recommendations.

Sorry for the poor photos but there isn't really a great deal to see at present but they give you a taste of the bike.

WP_000051.jpg

Must admit it's a name I've not come across before. It looks very '50's' with the GS rear mech and the GB brakes, bars, stem etc. Novel arrangement of chainring fixing too!

I hope you let us know how it progresses.

Old Ned":22ohwhdf said:
Must admit it's a name I've not come across before. It looks very '50's' with the GS rear mech and the GB brakes, bars, stem etc. Novel arrangement of chainring fixing too!

I hope you let us know how it progresses.

It is certainly a 50's bike and I would like to keep that at the very heart of the project. I wanted to see who would notice the chainrings, it may catch on!

So this has been sat in my loft as I just have not had the inclination to get it up and running but having stalled with the search for a nice bike for the Retro Ronde this has become my focus and the plan is to get it finished in time.

So out from the loft and outside for the first time in so many years gave me a chance to have a good look over it.

The frame itself is lovely, pings and rings like 531 and has Nervex Professional lugwork and a couple of other other quality details such as the rear brake bridge that has a lovely arc and nice joins and the very top of the seat stays have a really long curved 'face' to them. It's going to be worth the effort!

So I have sourced a local stove enameller who has done bikes previously, who most importantly is able to patient with me and work in a two step process of stripping, priming and enamelling then allowing me to get decals applied and the lugs lined before getting it back to him for plenty of clearcoat lacquer.

I do not have a great deal of information on the bike and so little is available online that I do not have a template to work to so to speak, so this means I get to freestyle a couple of bits that will be to my own personal interpretations and tastes.

I will probably blog about the bike too as it tends to keep me focussed and commit to getting things done instead of putting them in the loft!

2013-03-18%2015.40.11.jpg

2013-03-18%2015.41.08.jpg

2013-03-18%2015.43.36.jpg

2013-03-18%2015.44.20.jpg

2013-03-18%2015.41.37.jpg

Suggestions for Best/Lightest 27" Rims would be really good actually as I am on the hunt already.

Thanks

Stu

Hi, I come across some info on Pat Skeates the other day, so here it goes, he did work at Claud Butler and possibility Hetchins after the war, and started his own shop at 68 Landor Road on the corner of Willingdon Road near Clapham North tube station, sometime in the early fifties. His bikes were famed for there distinctive lugwork, the lugs were very ornate, probably the Hetchins influence. I think the shop closed in the mid fifties, your bike, a 1955 one, is lovely, but fairly plain compared with some of his top work, see below. As far as rims go, Conloy rims are one of the lightest, certainly the classic 40/50's rim, pricey, pretty, but not the best of braking surfaces. Terry

Attachments

• pat_skeates.png
    pat_skeates.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,016
Thank you very much Terry, hopefully piece by piece the story of Pat Skeates will come together. I will do what I can with this bike and will not be able to perfectly reproduce badges and decals but this bike will live on for many more years bearing his name.

How did you establish it is a 1955 bike? I didn't want to assume based on the stamped 55 of the BB shell.

Stu

Hi Stu, I'm currently trying to dig up info on another old London cycle shop ( G V Chapman's The Hare Cycle works in West Green Road, Tottenham N.15 ) so I keep my eyes open for you as far decals are concerned, and any other info. Its a lovely frame with some classy touches, worth the effort. As far as serial numbers are concerned, some of the other frames referenced all started with the year i.e. 51,52,etc, so its safe to assume its 1955, the fishtail nervex pro lugs were just out about this time, and I think 1955 was his last production year, so it all adds up. Terry

Just saw this, it certainly looks 1955, I remember someone who had one then. I always thought the multi splined Gnutti cotterless were a bit of a disaster, you needed to carry the allen key, was it 6mm?
Forgot, I have some Super Champion wheels from the 1970's, with rims about 10 ounces.

Back