What do you do when being chased by a dog?

saulus":2iwsrhme said:
Farm dogs (Collies) with nothing to do are the worst offenders IMO.
Quite fearless, no fixing their behaviour & pack a nasty nip..That's just their owners :LOL:.
I have seen collies try to attack car wheels when on the move. Very territorial & deadly for the dog..

Owners ought to know really, that's the right thing, after that I belt 'em with my pump.. That learns them!

Ive seen similar with Farm dogs, you're spot on with that comment!

mikee":2fyuet2d said:
A million years ago when I was 17 and running around on an rd250 , my mate steve who had a kh250 lived at the end of a cul-de-sac half way up this street lived a jack Russell terrier and a collie , these would ignore you as you went into the street but would go mental as you left ,would chase you to the end of the street ,up to about 35 mph , so one day steve said "I'm gonna let that little bastard catch me and see what it does "
So he rode up the street at about 15mph , the collie charged out nipped at the back tyre a couple of times ,then sank its teeth in
Hell what a mess

my mate had a kh250, we had a similar experience, one day on the way to college, a dog ran out of driveway as we sat in traffic and tried to take a lump out of my mates leg! not being up for that he dropped the clutch and tried to out run the dog in rush hour traffic, all was going according to plan till the dog speed up and decided to attack from another direction! it ran between the front wheel and the engine :facepalm: wrapped itself around the hot down tubes and across the heads, being a fairly new bike the fins were quite sharp still! we spent 30 minutes in the carpark at college later that morning picking out chunks of cooked dog! :shock:

stamina9007":18703usm said:
highlandsflyer":18703usm said:
Rick Draper":18703usm said:
I got bitten by a little bastard Jack Russell while riding the other month.

Couldn't you shut the dog in another room while you are entertaining its owner?

They cant do that, they're scared of small dogs...hahaha

Is retrobike full of feminine men like this?

If so, i might unsubscribe...

Im getting the impression that this site might be full of bourgeois fairies that arent comfortable unless they're wearing their slippers and watching Top Gear..

Lol
bye then child. Take the sh*tting machines with you

Oh, the dog problem!

When I was a kid, I was bitten by two dogs at the same time. I stopped near a tire repair shop and I took a leak in the grass. The dogs showed up out of nowhere and bit me directly, one by the calf, one by the butt. I had to take 7 injections to my stomach, because it wasn't sure if they had vaccines or not, a thing that made me very angry. Strangely, after this incident I became pretty much fearless when it comes to dogs. They are dogs, for chrissakes, not Terminators!

I almost never kicked a dog, because I think it's a pretty low thing to do, but what you can do is intimidate them. In the end, remember they are animals and you are a human that can use his brain and psyche to his advantage.

Long story short, the most likely thing I'd do when a dog runs next to me, acts aggressive and wouldn't listen to my firm words is pull a rear brake drift, do a U-turn and start chasing the dog! The surprise is so effective that it works 99% of the times. Dogs are not very brave and usually play the macho's only when they are close to their territory, but such a thing would scare them pretty easily and make them go home.

I did this most recently on two pesky ones who were on my way to the print shop I go weekly to and after two times they stopped chasing me and now they would just watch me pass by. When I used to work in Bucharest, there was a pack of more than 10 dogs in the yard of the Telephone Palace next to where I lived and at night they'd be strolling the streets. They chased me one or two times when I was walking back home. Every time, I took out my bike and chased THEM around until they all ran away. I even did this after they stopped chasing me, just to reinforce the idea that I was the one who was intimidating them and my smell needs to be associated with that. They never followed me again, even when I was on foot.

Always, but always be the intimidator! It's pretty simple.

Be safe and be nice to dogs, but don't buy into their cheap circus! You're the master.
Mx

Back in the day there was a pair of dogs that would bark & act aggressive at me and my friends when we would ride by. Took an old water bottle and filled it with rubbing alcohol. When the dogs would get close a good squeaze would send em off runnin.

alanf":2og62l1p said:
mikee":2og62l1p said:
A million years ago when I was 17 and running around on an rd250 , my mate steve who had a kh250 lived at the end of a cul-de-sac half way up this street lived a jack Russell terrier and a collie , these would ignore you as you went into the street but would go mental as you left ,would chase you to the end of the street ,up to about 35 mph , so one day steve said "I'm gonna let that little bastard catch me and see what it does "
So he rode up the street at about 15mph , the collie charged out nipped at the back tyre a couple of times ,then sank its teeth in
Hell what a mess

my mate had a kh250, we had a similar experience, one day on the way to college, a dog ran out of driveway as we sat in traffic and tried to take a lump out of my mates leg! not being up for that he dropped the clutch and tried to out run the dog in rush hour traffic, all was going according to plan till the dog speed up and decided to attack from another direction! it ran between the front wheel and the engine :facepalm: wrapped itself around the hot down tubes and across the heads, being a fairly new bike the fins were quite sharp still! we spent 30 minutes in the carpark at college later that morning picking out chunks of cooked dog! :shock:

It was that long sharp rear mudguard that did for it

Is it always the same place when you ride by? I reckon if you walked the bike past, the dog wouldn't bat an eyelid. Like most people say it's the chase that they are interested in. Nice and calm and the dog won't care. Pedal like a mad man and it'll be like a...well, dog with a bone.

My mate's dog likes beer. So failing all that you could always pull over and crack open a cold one?

I dont fear dogs myself, i DO though fear what they could do to one of my children who rides with me or any other children for that matter.

The last bite i got from a dog would have made a real mess of a childs face/hands etc :x

I was lucky the dog bit my Sir Chris Hoy sized thighs :D

I once heard that a bike gives off all kind of high pitched mechanical noises that we can't hear but drives some dogs mental.

Back