Mudguards chrome resto or not??

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I am doing a small (hopefully) restoration on a bike for my wife and it currently has chrome mudguards. Due to age these are spotted with rust - it may be the case that will plenty of elbow grease i can get these in a state that i am happy with, but, should this not be the case, i have two options -
1. replace
2. repaint

I saw new guards last week for £22 in a LBS and they might fit - perhaps with some alterations as the wheels are 24''

If i decide to repaint i would prefer them to be a dull silver/alloy/aluminium finish and not the current shiny chrome. So i believe i need - time and effort (most important), then sandpaper to remove the chrome in stages, acid etch primer - 2 or 3 coats, silver paint, lacquer/clear coat/clear varnish or similar. I would plan to do the painting myself to keep costs down. Have i missed anything?

I suspect that option 2 may be more expensive than option 1 which is a bit mad but i have not priced the paint etc although i think i saw the etch primer recently for £17 in a car components supplier.

Pointers, advice and opinion welcome.

The old trick with car hubcaps was to scrub them with wire wool and coca-cola - removes the rust and brings the chrome up nice and shiny, and you can polish or spray lacquer over them then if you wish...

Can you have chrome shot blasted off? If so shot blast and powder coat in complimentary colour may work out cheaper than painting them....

My suspicion is that the guards may be too light for that type of treatment and any ructy bit might end up a hole!! I will check with a guy tomorrow.

Thanks,

Richard

Oh it's you TGR! Get yourself an avatar my friend, not that it'll make any difference to my replies...

'Tis me, bejesus, and i taught yee didna no me!!

St Patrick's Day disguise.

Richard

Back