MERLIN XLM 1997 15" Canti Ready, [SOLD]

shogun700

Retro Guru
Hello all a quick update-the frame has sold to the first person who contacted me for $650. For anyone interested, there is some question as to exactly what frame it is-some of the construction details do not match XLM construction (most notably the 3/4" seatstays instead of 7/8" for the XLM), however, it's significantly lighter than the claimed weight for a Merlin Mountain. Thanks to all who expressed interest/provided information.

Hello fellow Retrobikers! It's finally starting to warm up here in the northeastern USA and I have to sell a few things to fund summer projects. First up is this stunning Massachusetts-made 15" 1997 Merlin XLM, serial number 14179 (very late 1997). Weighing a scant 3.0 pounds (probably less as my scale tends to read heavy), this frame is nearly perfect but missing the top tube and down tube decals. Please note when viewing the photos that with the sun coming through my window screen you may see a crosshatch or lined pattern and some areas that look different from the rest of the tubing-rest assured it's just the lighting-the frame is stunning in the flesh, the only marks are very slight cable rub on the top tube and some scratching on the inner seatstays above the brake posts, looks like that's where the pads were hitting when the brakes were unhooked. I have detailed both areas in the pics. Otherwise, no dents, dings or significant marks, and the bottle cage inserts/bolts are intact. I believe this frame is designed for 63-80mm suspension forks. This was arguably the best era for Merlin-frames that were the culmination of their experience and craftsmanship, and before market pressures caused the company to come unglued.

Enjoy!

Frame dimensions: 15" seat tube C-C, 16.75" C-T
21.75" top tube C-C
16.75" chainstay
Uses 1-1/8" headsets

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

I'm not sure what to ask for it, so I'll start at $750 USD via paypal gift. I'll split the postage cost with the buyer, and I pack frames exceptionally well so it will arrive safely. I've not been on RB a lot lately (we bought a house....) but I have 100% feedback as an ebay seller (normalab on US ebay), feel free to have a look.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Re: MERLIN XLM 1997 15" Canti Ready, MINT!

Thanks-if it were bigger, I'd be hoarding it!

I have one interested party who I have given first refusal for the next day or so, but as always these things may fall through, so don't hesitate to contact me.

kiwideturin":swbw3npz said:
:oops:
Why so small :facepalm:

That's what my Girlfriend said

Pm'ed you with some information.

shogun700":1kgxl2z5 said:
Hello all a quick update-the frame has sold to the first person who contacted me for $650. For anyone interested, there is some question as to exactly what frame it is-some of the construction details do not match XLM construction (most notably the 3/4" seatstays instead of 7/8" for the XLM), however, it's significantly lighter than the claimed weight for a Merlin Mountain. Thanks to all who expressed interest/provided information.

Hello fellow Retrobikers! It's finally starting to warm up here in the northeastern USA and I have to sell a few things to fund summer projects. First up is this stunning Massachusetts-made 15" 1997 Merlin XLM, serial number 14179 (very late 1997). Weighing a scant 3.0 pounds (probably less as my scale tends to read heavy), this frame is nearly perfect but missing the top tube and down tube decals. Please note when viewing the photos that with the sun coming through my window screen you may see a crosshatch or lined pattern and some areas that look different from the rest of the tubing-rest assured it's just the lighting-the frame is stunning in the flesh, the only marks are very slight cable rub on the top tube and some scratching on the inner seatstays above the brake posts, looks like that's where the pads were hitting when the brakes were unhooked. I have detailed both areas in the pics. Otherwise, no dents, dings or significant marks, and the bottle cage inserts/bolts are intact. I believe this frame is designed for 63-80mm suspension forks. This was arguably the best era for Merlin-frames that were the culmination of their experience and craftsmanship, and before market pressures caused the company to come unglued.

Enjoy!

Frame dimensions: 15" seat tube C-C, 16.75" C-T
21.75" top tube C-C
16.75" chainstay
Uses 1-1/8" headsets

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

I'm not sure what to ask for it, so I'll start at $750 USD via paypal gift. I'll split the postage cost with the buyer, and I pack frames exceptionally well so it will arrive safely. I've not been on RB a lot lately (we bought a house....) but I have 100% feedback as an ebay seller (normalab on US ebay), feel free to have a look.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

:?

Back