Raleigh Team 531 Lightweight - Arrived with pics

My Phone cam hates the low light!

IMG_20130314_205339_7141_zpse840bd8d.jpg

There it is mocked up, pretty pleased so far, headset is a new Ritchey logic which while not the original Tange Unique-X is a whole heap lighter and looks pretty similar (black with white writing). picked it up and thought this is actually pretty light too even with the heavy saddle and grips and put it on the scales and it's a touch under 25lbs. Hopefully with the lighter Turbo and WCS grips a chain, light pedals and cables should see it at about 25.5lbs which will make it easily my lightest bike.

Carl.

Got it together for a cheeky little ride and quick picture on Saturday. Still some way to go before it's finished in the way I want it.

But here it is in normal light:

IMG_20130317_152939_7111_zps682255b6.jpg

Also striped, flushed and relubed the freehub so it works properly now.

Still undecided on the stem, it's 135mm reach, with about 10 degrees of rise and I think it's maybe a bit long and low for this one, any opinions?
I have a stem that's about 120mm reach and about 20 degrees that I may try but it's twice the weight of the one on there.

Jobs left are:
Collect and fit the Turbo Saddle.
Finalise Stem Choice
Get the stem and bars powder coated to match frame.
Get some period looking pedals and toe clip/straps.

Carl.

Very nice :)
Been quietly enjoying this in the background. I agree on the stem 'shape' - shame about the weight though. I guess if you like the heavy stem once you've tried it you could then look for something similar but lighter before getting the powdercoat.

jaypee":qa0xowro said:
Very nice :)
I guess if you like the heavy stem once you've tried it you could then look for something similar but lighter before getting the powdercoat.

When I fitted the other stem up I wasn't too sure about that either, I think I may fit all 4 I have and take some pictures like this and see which is the best suited. I'm annoyed as I sold a T-Bone that would have been perfect about a year ago. Now finding a suit able 1" quill stem is a nightmare, the silver one I found on here but that was the only one suitable going back someway.

Carl.

Combo of slack/lugged 80s frame + 90s Suntour + 32 spoke wheels works rather well :)

I know it's vice-versa of stock but I think I'd go blue stem, yellow bars... or maybe blue for both as brightly painted stems/bars was such a garish late 80s phenomenon.

T-Bone was my first thought too, tiny bit shorter with less rise would be my choice, but I'm not the one riding it!

Both look grand to me :cool: I might revise my opinion on the stem - something a little chunkier if it's to be yellow - think skinny tubed and yellow is a bad combination.

Initially I was in agreement on blue stem (I like matching forks/stem), but looking at the pics earlier in this thread I'm converted to yellow stem/blue bars for the overall balance on the bike :cool:

Back