Is this a Specialized Stumpjumper, or not?

The_Ron

Retro Newbie
Hello
I’m looking for some help in identifying this bike and it’s vintage that I’ve inherited. I was initially told that it’s a 1992 ‘stumpjumper’ but I’m not so sure now as since doing some research all the Stumpjumpers that I have seen have a decal on the frame saying what they are? I know it is an S Works, M2 frame and has Suntour brakes and gears, but that about it. So any more information on this bike would be greatly appreciated.

I would also be interested in knowing what model years it is from and roughly what price it would have been if anyone can help? It has been in storage inside for the past 15 years or so and I came across it in bits. I have re-assembled to the point that I know it is fully functional and all the parts are present (a few new parts have been added by myself, such as the tyres and a few other small bits). It is in really good condition and now just need’s to be properly set-up.

Hope someone can help!

Attachments

• DSC05960.JPG
    DSC05960.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,392
  • DSC05961.JPG
    DSC05961.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,392
Thanks for spotting my mistake and forgive my ignorance, as I'm not familiar with MTB's. Anyway original post now corrected!

1992 Specialized M2 Team with Future Shock fork. Top of the range that year, and something of an iconic bike. First time the bg S made a racing hardtail out of alloy (M2 is a metal matrix, made of aluminum with other minerals added to increase strength and reduce weight).

Thanks a lot, good to know it is from 1992 and more about it’s pedigree, I had suspicions it might be something ‘special’. Although still not clear if a Stumpjumper?

I don’t think the bike was ever really used in anger so to speak, as apart from a few minor scratches the bike is in incredibly good nick considering its age. Took a while to clean up mind you as it was literally dismantled as it was (still dirty) and the frame wrapped up in old bicycle inner tubes! - Not seen the light of day since 1995.

I want to find out more about it before deciding upon what to do with it, as it does have a certain amount of sentimental value to my girlfriend- It used to be her brothers, but he passed away in 1995, so that bike has been stored ever since at her elderly parents house that is now being cleared out.

mechagouki":3liofwqz said:
1992 Specialized M2 Team with Future Shock fork. Top of the range that year, and something of an iconic bike. First time the bg S made a racing hardtail out of alloy (M2 is a metal matrix, made of aluminum with other minerals added to increase strength and reduce weight).

It's not a Stumpjumper. Stumpjumpers were still steel in 1992. This bike marked a major new direction from Specialized. In later years there were indeed M2 Stumpjumpers, but the bike in your picture was the team issue machine, near identical to what was being raced by Ned Overend and others at the time. In later years these frames had the S-Works designation on the downtube instead of the double Specialized decalling.

Here's a pic of Mr.Overend riding the same bike:

NOverendAUTOG.jpg

It's not super, super rare, nor as sought after as some of the more unusual Spesh frames like the Epic Ultimate, but yours is in wonderful condition, if it was mine I'd be riding it at the first opportunity!

Like mechagouki has pointed out allready, it's not a Stumpjumper! It's even better than a Stumpjumper!

A lovely bike and if it is your size, keep it and ride it! The geometry is very nice!

Good luck with it!!

Cheers,
Bart

Back