1990 Ridgeback 704XT

Re: New Build: 1990 Ridgeback 704XT

Dossa":1jk8aqyl said:
Errrrrr.......yes :oops:

:D :D :D :D :LOL:

I am in serious love with this bike. I was the same, lusting after the 704XT in the Freewheel catalogue too. I think I may have even seen one in the Nottingham store too.....

If it were me I would really go all out for a catalogue spec build. What a lot of people don't realise is that it can be so much harder to do than for the exotic brands as a lot of the finishing kit on the more normal bikes has long been thrown away and not cherished. It can be very difficult finding replacements.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. :D

Rob Atkin":31hrw1u9 said:
a lot of the finishing kit on the more normal bikes has long been thrown away and not cherished. It can be very difficult finding replacements.
That 3ttt stem looks like a classic "HL of Taiwan" job, as per the factory item and fitted to so many bikes around that time. I chucked one identical to the original recently (off a 1990 Emmelle) because it was rusty and I've already got a few other HL stems :facepalm: In truth their unbranded stems are usually heavy with ugly welding and dodgy alignment. The stems they made for others (like Tioga) were lighter/better.

The logo should come off with T-Cut.

What with Wookie's Marin too, I declare 2013 the year pink bikes come out of the closet, err I mean shed :LOL:

I think a Prestige tubed Tioga T-bone stem would be a nice stem for this bike.

Bit of an update to report as I now have the forks back from C&G....

img0444pm.jpg

img0448lo.jpg

Nice, clean job on them but had to say Bonjour to the Tange Prestige decal as Gil couldn't replicate it and, though I did try a few other options, it wasn't really worth it in the end - the decal was only small anyway..

Some other parts have arrived recently as well:

NOS XTII BL-M733 levers-

img0266py.jpg

img0264zy.jpg

XT M-730 chainset from spibblo on here (cheers!)

img0357hut.jpg

img0362xlc.jpg

XT RD-M735 rear mech from skolioza (thanks, Marcin)

img0439pm.jpg

img0437ii.jpg

ODI Attack Grips

img0273fq.jpg

Ritchey ForceLite bar, all of 99p on eBay..

img0350hs.jpg

Also winging their way to me as we speak are some M730 XT bear trap pedals (eBay) with new black Mt. Christophe straps from SJS

:D

So up to here now as it stands:

img0449s.jpg

img0442zs.jpg

img0443zg.jpg

img0445fs.jpg

img0454kp.jpg

img0453bc.jpg

Snazzy 1990 team shirt bagged as well! :LOL:

img0267bz.jpg

img0268lb.jpg

Still need:

* XT thumbies
* SRAM/KMC chain
* Koolstop pads

.....so not too long left I hope :D

Cheers, Matty

Freewheel catalogue p*rn!

That front mech is way too high of course ;) and the flat stem looks a bit low?

Back