Quick Release Query

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

Could anyone advise what is the easiest/cheapest way to change from a bolted axle to a QR one.

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks, i might have one ready for the front - the rear may be problematic though - it currently has a 3sp freewheel and i have not come across that before.

Richard

Errr, from memory they were either ancient or a tiny frame so might have to be inventive / bodge something :)

Shaun

Tiny is right - for my 6 yr old. But i may have another option with a 5sp, hmmmm would an old QR without an axle be able to be used if i got an axle and shortened it?

This is an OLN issue? i.e. You need hollow axles and QR skewers cut down to fit a narrow hub/frame? You may be lucky with a normal front working as a narrow rear. Many hollow axles have no thread in the centre so make sure there's enough thread on the axle that your cones don't 'bottom out' before being snug with the cups/bearings. Might be best to assemble the whole thing, including freewheel, with the uncut axle, try it in the frame, measure from each end of the axle to where it needs to be cut, then disassemble and cut the axle.

The answer to your last question is yes... but you may have to use a die to extend the thread for the nut further up the QR skewer, and then cut off the excess.

Edit:
You may be lucky with a normal front working as a narrow rear.
That was a stupid idea...different diameters.. in fact subsequent posts are making this whole post look redundant.. :)

Will a QR hollw axle fit the front hub? The barrel diameter is sometimes to small.

Thanks all, the rear OLN measurement is 126mm to i guess it may not be a problem to get a hub to fit. I am pretty sure i have a few old hub bodies - but i would need axles - are these available anywhere handy?

Richard

Back