Carrera HELLCAT Restoration/re-build

It's an entry level bike so as long as your aware that even a powdercoat may be more than the bikes worth then you can either have some fun learning from it or decide to use the same money on something else

there is no right or wrong on this just a balance on money vs cost vs what it's worth and quite rightly you make the decision that works for you

I would agree that this is well after this section of 97 and before so you might find some opinions/help in the 98 and later if that helps?

viewforum.php?f=21

I did exactly that, got a cheap hellcat (was actually not a bad frame in the end) got it rolling then realised I had just chucked away my money on a load of toss. it rode awful, thats just my experience anyway.

I had one of those brand new in 2000, first full sus and it came with 27speed gears, Magura louise hydraulic brakes it was fantastic. I hit an idicated 45mph on that powering down a road out of the Pentland hills near Edinburgh. I dispute the entry level tag though as it was £750 which in 2000 was still a lot of money.
Finally suffered cracks where the frame attaches to the swingarm. The hellcat that came after it was a different design, possibly to address that issue.

Receiving some very mixed feedback here haha.

basically the bike was cheap, the paint job is getting done for free and i have access to quite a few parts already as well as a few contacts who can source me anything i need at cost price. so the project is going to be very low cost and hopefully alot of fun resulting in a bike that will more than suit my needs for now until i choose to upgrade to a newer more modern bike and pass it on to the girlfriend.

The frame is 7005 aluminium and all the components albeit a bit dated are of a high quality because despite what certain people on here believe the hellcat was not an entry level bike. The actual frame design is still widely used today and looks to be bomb proof however when i start stripping the old paint off i will pay particular attention to high stress points and look closely for any cracks and fractures, if there are any then its 36 pound worth of scrap, if not by the time i finish with it she will be beautiful

Project is still on.

ah yes, when i said it rode awful i was meaning the 'shortness' of it. good wyalityu with the hydro brakes ect but it was almost sit up and beg. good luck with it any bike is a good bike

Latest posts

Back