V brakes too short!

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
So I have a question for you chaps with more experience than me.

I built this for my daughter:

DSCN0717_zps233cd012.jpg

It's based on a '92 timberline frame (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159394 )

When I built it up, I had to pinch a set of V's for the rear off her old small bike, they didn't fit very well but got it going.

I picked up a nice full set for it and fitted them over the weekend, but the rear blocks will only half cover the rim when set at their highest position.

The bosses have been moved at sometime in the past as it would originally of had a U brake. Is it just a case of the bosses are in the wrong position? or should it have a different type of brake fitted?

I'm thinking about some sort of adapter plate to lift the position of the bosses (need to go up 2 - 3cm) does such a thing exist?

I can't upload a picture as I've managed to loose my camera lead :facepalm:

An adaptor plate exists from Mavic that moves the bosses up for putting a 700c wheel in a 26er mtb but not sure it would work there.
Alternatively get a U-brake plate and U-brake bolted through the seatstay bridge.
Alternatively again get a A-Z disc brake adaptor plate and convert to disc brakes.

it's a very small frame, perhaps the bosses were moved to suit a 24" wheel, this would match the 2-3cm precisely.

That's certainly a possibility that I had thought of too.

With regard to fixing this, I've found these on the Bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390559954032? ... 1423.l2649

$T2eC16VHJF8E9nnC7N5zBRQilnWRw!~~60_12.JPG

But I expect they'll end up as silly money by the end of the auction. Does anyone else make something similar?

If it comes to it, I can leave then as they are, because the bike will do ridiculously low mileage anyway, and it's the rear brake as well so less use than the front.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If this was a 92 then it would of had a u brake fitted but I think it's newer as the gear cable bosses sit higher than my first 92 talera which were kind of the same bike .

Have you checked to see if the brake on the back is a front brake ? I have seen brakes forsale on here stating frot and rear , or try changing them over ?

WHY NOT JUST USE A U BRAKE, oops nowt else is going to work

and yes the u brake studs are in a different position

front and rear usually is just the direction of the pads, some brakes e.g pederson cantis are front and rear specific. u brakes usually go on the back.

you can get some funky bmx u brake cheap as chips

Charlieboy28":1nct6nim said:

front and rear usually is just the direction of the pads, some brakes e.g pederson cantis are front and rear specific. u brakes usually go on the back.

Because the studs are not in the correct position for a U-Brake ;)

FluffyChicken":27en05ky said:
Charlieboy28":27en05ky said:

Because the studs are not in the correct position for a U-Brake ;)

good point :facepalm:

Looks like they're moved for a 24" rear wheel indeed. Perhaps you could just get a 24" wheel and turn the bike into a 46-er ?

Back