Newbie here with my first retro bike ('80 Raleigh Europa)

Re: Newbie here with my first retro bike ('80 Raleigh Europa

Purple Helmet":2lw7izbu said:
Hey, I like the colour scheme...very similar to the Raleigh Burner!

Welcome to the board! :)

PH

Thank you for the welcome :)
I had a brand new Raleigh Night Burner back in the 80's.....shame it ended off down the tip :(

Hi Stu and welcome. As everyone says, it's a slippery slope this addiction.

I started for me with a suspected cheapo refurb of an 87 Raleigh Equipe and its turned into the price of a holiday.

There's plenty on here who will sell you the gear for your fix.

Meejoir.

Thanks for the frame number, a little later than the Europa's that I sold. Ours were from the Carlton factory in the Raleigh livery but had wrapround stays and yellow head tubes......

Shaun

Meejoir":3s9m24la said:
Hi Stu and welcome. As everyone says, it's a slippery slope this addiction.

I started for me with a suspected cheapo refurb of an 87 Raleigh Equipe and its turned into the price of a holiday.

There's plenty on here who will sell you the gear for your fix.

Meejoir.

:LOL: cheers Meejoir....... I'm currently clinging to the fence to avoid snow balling down the slippery slope!

The rims on mine whilst being original etc they're a little pitted and imo they are letting the bike down. I'm not looking to buy any mega expensive wheels as being just a Europa I think they would be a little wasted on it, but I've found a set of Weinmann wheels on ebay....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27-Weinmann-Q ... 2c6d295787
Opinions guy's? I thought they wouldn't look too out of place and they also match all the other stock Weinmann gear on the bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Equipe had a rear spacing of 125mm but the stays allowed a little bit of movement to accommodate a 130mm wheel like these Weinmanns. I replaced the original 27" wheels with 700c but it cost me a new set of brake callipers as the old ones would no longer reach. It was one of the many expensive trips I have been on with bike refurbing!!!

Everyday is a schoolday.

How bad are the rims? I am currently restoring a set of rims and Autosol/steel wool/elbow grease/time works wonders!! I have the hube removed - poished and rebuild and once i get the rims done they will be rebuilt with stainless DB spokes at a cost of £34. The expensive bit is elbow greas and TIME!!!!

Good luck,

Richard

TGR":e5gm82pj said:
hube poished greas
Whats these words mean Richard ? Obviously the polishing is making you're finger tips go numb :twisted:

Meejoir":1anwx1if said:
My Equipe had a rear spacing of 125mm but the stays allowed a little bit of movement to accommodate a 130mm wheel like these Weinmanns. I replaced the original 27" wheels with 700c but it cost me a new set of brake callipers as the old ones would no longer reach. It was one of the many expensive trips I have been on with bike refurbing!!!

Everyday is a schoolday.

Cheers fella.....so just a measure up and I should be good to go?

TGR":1anwx1if said:
How bad are the rims? I am currently restoring a set of rims and Autosol/steel wool/elbow grease/time works wonders!! I have the hube removed - poished and rebuild and once i get the rims done they will be rebuilt with stainless DB spokes at a cost of £34. The expensive bit is elbow greas and TIME!!!!

Good luck,

Richard

Hi Richard!
They ain't all that bad, but they ain't perfect either. Ive polished them back up using Autosol and then followed up with a go over with some Rimwax (car wheel polish, a couple of our cars have pretty rare split rims that need tender loving care on a regular basis....Ive found Autosol is great at getting a basic shine back but its not very long lasting on its on) but they just don't have the perfect finish anymore. It's not so much an issue now, but once I've repainted the frame then stuff like this will stand out like a sore thumb. Plus I figured the replacement rims would require a little less maintenance than the chrome.

You should consider what use the bike is going to get - if using it regularly, perhaps new wheels would be wise, if not - an unnecessary expense? I have got good results with steel wool and Autosol, i have no pics at the moment but i will advise you when i get some - tomorrow - if things go to plan.

Richard

Back