'90 Zolatone Marin Pine Mountain restoration - FINISHED!!!

Re: '90 Zolatone Marin Pine Mountain restoration - FINISHED!

Very pleasant. Nice to see someone cleaning up existing parts instead of smattering it in NOS bits. Gives it a nice used-but-smart patina.

Yes, although it was really nice to receive a few NOS parts in the post, it was also great stripping down the chainset, brakes and derailleur and tidying them up. The enthusiasm waned by Christmas, but up until then I was flying! :D

Re: '91 Zolatone Marin Pine Mountain restoration - FINISHED!

Foulplay":3e6sm19j said:
Ahh, well... if I was going to ride it, I wouldn't be worrying about aesthetics, as that just won't come into things if I'm going for an accurate biomechanical fit.... Seatpost height for correct leg/knee extension; saddle position for correct knee over pedal position; stem height for correct/comfortable reach etc...

If the correct seat came up on eBay, I'd probably swipe it, and the same goes for Deore DX brake/shifters (instead of the incorrect XT parts that I have put on there), and also a pair of Marin Rockstar tyres would be a great find! If I was really going for a 100% accurate recreation, I'd also need to source the DX brake blocks, and maybe even the correct bottom bracket.

As you can see... there are quite a few inaccuracies at the moment, but the bike is looking good now and I can sit back and take my time correcting those inaccuracies as and when parts become available. :D

Don't worry about the "inaccuracies" You have done a great job in restoring this Pine Mountain to its former glory! The important thing is that you have a love for it and it shows. Yes the seat is in a somewhat strange angle/position and the stem looks a little high (maybe beyond the safety line?) As for the XT parts they are a period upgrade and what you would have done BITD so don't fret. You've seen my Team and what I did to that, not to everyones taste, but what I would have done back then. As for the Rockstar tyres they really are not anything special and were made by Cheng Shun so your better off with what you have! :LOL: One thing...don't just look at it ride it! I know its hard when so much time and effort went into it, but enjoy it fully! My Team has seen a fair bit of the muddy stuff since I finished it and in my opinion so it should! It is after all an offroad machine designed for that very purpose, and it seems a shame to cage its freedom! See my Muddy 1!

Doug

Attachments

• muddy 1.jpg
    muddy 1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 318

Great looking bike, but have to agree on the saddle angle, such an eyesore.

Re: '91 Zolatone Marin Pine Mountain restoration - FINISHED!

WD Pro":3965i1mr said:
Foulplay":3965i1mr said:
1990, yes, light grey (like yours)
1991, afterburners (not like yours)

WD :D

Although (just to add to the confusion) that doesn't always hold true, as has been discussed before. I have owned 1991 Bear Valleys with and without Afterburner stays, and also a 1991 Eldridge Grade without Afterburners. I think we decided in another thread that it was a mid-year revision.

Saddle position corrected and photos updated.

How's that? Any better? :D

MPM1.jpg

Back