a brake bit XTR 950 also XTR FD 950 or later

pm me your addresses then fellas,

oh i will be nicking one of the rubber covers at the front, but that wont effect either of you

Huge thanks address on its way.

If it helps these brakes are not that bad to refurb. Ive been taking a few of these right down to component and polishing the bearings etc until they run super smooth. Its nasty bits like the one I need that let them down - poor metal seems to be the root of most problems.

regards Steve

PS If you want postage let me know otherwise I'll do a fiver for Red Nose

a ha, found this thread again :)
pm being sent :D

stevebe, I've fully rebuilt M950's (there is a thread on it)
How different are the M951's. I know they have a spring in them to aid return of the canti holder.
Do they still use loose thrust bearings (two washers around the ball bearings, two sets of).

I've completely taken M950 apart and rebuilt them to get the 'indexing' out. I just turned my plates around to get a nice smooth surface, just wondering if they ever changed the bearing setup at some point to say cartridge like Avid used on their high end. Not that I can see a reason to do that.

Nice link that, saves me rewriting my short how to in another post. I have all the pics ready to go in the Wiki, but I can just link to there now.
I would add though that using an allen key in the rear when assembling, to keep the axle still, makes tightening the two nuts easier. Also remember it all clamps up a bit more when actually screwed onto the frame so under tension the bearings (if you get what I mean, a bit like doing wheel hubs) so when on the bike you can get it right.

It looks like they didn't change the bearing setup looking at some 970s. Regarding assembly - I made up a simple bolt press like you although they still come apart with the soft metal. A local chap to me made up some oversize bearing shafts for the brake pad holders which stopped one set vibrating.

Back